[Solved] How to search image titles for ***

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
qb

[Solved] How to search image titles for ***

Post by qb »

Hello - I take lots of photos of kittens I foster for a local non-profit rescue. I like to flag the best images that we can then use for our FB page by having the name end with *** (e.g. 001 Indira***.jpg or 014 Moki***.jpg).

If I have a folder of images open in GC 11.x I want to be able to do a Search for *** and have it filter out all the other images. Then I could select them and "Share" them via Mail.app to our FB coordinator.

However nothing changes in the images shown.

I am NOT trying to use an asterisk as a wild card - simply search for the occurrence of 3 of them in a row.

I tried /*/*/* and \*\*\* and {*} and "***" and a few others.

thank you
qb
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to search image titles for ***

Post by forum_adm »

The asterisk is used as a wildcard character.

So, I can maybe add a command: convert asterisk in name to rating? Filtering of images by rating is supported.

Thorsten
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to search image titles for ***

Post by forum_adm »

Please download the latest BETA 11.3.1 at:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Select all images in the browser and choose the following function:
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.45.07.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.45.07.jpg (232.16 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Now filter the images the following way:
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.45.20.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-10-13 at 09.45.20.jpg (31.29 KiB) Viewed 2006 times
Thorsten
qb

Re: [Solved] How to search image titles for ***

Post by qb »

Thank you but your suggestion of "rating" photos is not what i was looking for.

I add the *** to images so I can see that in the Finder when I look into a folder. The Finder will let me search on *** and match correctly. Thus I can selected the needed subgroup with the *** in the Finder to share to email.

Your suggestion could be handy however I cannot easily manually select the images with ***. I may have 200 images in the GC 11 browser window with only 15 with the ***. Thus I would need to hand select each one. If I did that then I could simply Share to email those images.

I guess I goofed using *** years ago instead of something like zzz :-)

qb
PakkyT

Re: [Solved] How to search image titles for ***

Post by PakkyT »

however I cannot easily manually select the images with ***. I may have 200 images in the GC 11 browser window with only 15 with the ***. Thus I would need to hand select each one.
With all due respect, Thorsten just told you how to do it. You use the new command he made to rate all images with file name ending in *** to be 3-star ratings. Then at the bottom of the browser use the "Show:" pull down box and change it from the default of "All Ratings" to "*** or better" and your giant list will be instantly changed from showing 200 images to only those 15 images. Now you can easily select the 15 images at once.

Likewise, on your list of 200 images if you simply right click on a black area between the photos, you can pick "Select Items ->" and then pick the 3-stars option. This time GC will automatically select those 15 files for you.