[Solved] How to change keyword hierarchy?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
chrillek

[Solved] How to change keyword hierarchy?

Post by chrillek »

Hi,
If I have the floating keyword window, I can see that some of the predefined keywords are organized below others. However, I don't seem to be able to change this order.
E.g., if I have "plant" and "bud" on the same (top) level, but I want to move "bud" to be below "plant" – what do I have to do? I tried drag&drop, which goes through all the motions (i.e. mark the drag object, show drop points (either on top of another keyword or between two keywords) but if I actually "drop" the item, nothing changes.
I didn't find any explanation in the documentation (maybe I didn't look in the right places?) nor in the forum.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to change keyword hierarchy?

Post by forum_adm »

The keywords can only be sorted alphabetically with the action popup:
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 18.54.jpg
Screen Shot 2020-11-08 at 18.54.jpg (125.41 KiB) Viewed 2749 times
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

OK. If I export the existing keywords as text file, I get a list of keywords indented by one tab per level, i.e.

Code: Select all

Family
        Grands
        Parents
Is that correct, so that I could prepare a keywords file in this format with the appropriate hierarchy and import it?

Also, there's probably a misunderstanding: I was not asking about "sorting", but about "hierarchy": What can I do to move (for example) "Grands" out of the "Family" and up one level so it becomes a top level keyword of its own.
BTW: I do _not_ see the option to "Save as XML file", although "export all keywords" from the metadata menu does just that without asking.
Running GC 11.3.1 (4617)
Last edited by chrillek on Sun Nov 08, 2020 7:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Yes, you can do that.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

But the hierarchy can moved with drag and drop. You see the insertion line during the operation.
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

But the hierarchy can moved with drag and drop. You see the insertion line during the operation.
That's exactly what is _not_ working for me. As I wrote before: I get the d&d behavior until I try to drop the item – in which case nothing happens. I.e. the item stays where it is, no change in the list.

What I do: Drag "Paphiopedilum" one line up so that "Orchideen" is highlighted. Let go of the mouse ("drop") - Paphiopedilum reverts to its original position.

Last edited by chrillek on Sun Nov 08, 2020 8:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Which macOS do you use?
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

Catalina 10.15.7
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

I also tried with the latest beta (11.3.1 (4629)). No change. Is this a bug or do I have to change something in my settings?
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

After a lot of fiddling around, I managed to get a hierarchical keyword list imported and arranged by drag and drop. I have no idea, why re-arranging with d&d was not possible before.
However, in the process, I lost a whole subtree of keywords - I dragged them, dropped them, and they were completely gone.
Also, I'm now experiencing problems with the expand/unexpand function: I can expand subtrees but they wont contract. "Unexpand all" doesn't help either.
All this seems to point to some problems with the keywords window.