[Solved] Search for keywords on NAS gives weird results

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
chrillek

[Solved] Search for keywords on NAS gives weird results

Post by chrillek »

I have a NAS folder "Fotos" mounted on my Macbook Pro. I contains several folders. When I follow the procedure to search for keywords described on page 306 in the (german) handbook (i.e. first enter a non existing term, than click on the + sign to add a keyword term to search for), I get three irritating results:
- When "Fotos" is selected in the top row of the central window (as opposed to "This Mac"), I get not results at all.
- When "This Mac" is selected in the top row, I get the desired results. However, they are not from the NAS folder but from an external harddrive with a backup.
- For the latter case, I only get results if "one of the conditions is met" ("Eine der Bedingungen trifft zu") is selected. If I choose "All conditions are met", I again get no result – although there is only one condition. In this case "all" and "at least one" are exactly equivalent.

I suppose that I do not get any results for "Fotos" because it is not indexed by Spotlight? But are the different results for "at least one" and "all" expected?
I'm on GC 11.3.2 (4637) and Mac OS Big Sur.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Search for keywords on NAS gives weird results

Post by forum_adm »

Please enable Apple spotlight for your NAS.

The GraphicConverter search uses Spotlight for finding the items. So, it avoid a double index.
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

I turned on indexing on the NAS (It's a synology), but that didn't produce the desired results.

Code: Select all

mdutil -i /Volumes/XXX
does, though. However, there remains a problem: In order to define the search, the user manual tells me to enter a non-existing string into the search field in the toolbar (p305 in the german version). After nothing has been found, I can then define conditions like "keyword contains ...".

BUT: The nonsensical string is considered in this search, too. So when "All condtions match" is selected (which is the default, I think), nothing is found because the nonsensical string doesn't match anything. I think that should be made clearer in the manual. OR the condition "Items text contains xxx" should be made visible in the search definition so that I can delete it there (preferably, because that is more transparent)
Last edited by chrillek on Mon Nov 16, 2020 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

What do you want to search exactly?
chrillek

Post by chrillek »

I want to find fotos containing a particular keyword in their IPTC metatdata, let's say "Sebastian". That works now, but I still think that the approach is a bit convoluted.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Yes, I agree - I try to improve it.
nicko74

Post by nicko74 »

Hello, I just purchased a Synology NAS and am encountering a similar issue. Has there been any progress on a fix?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

This can't be fixed from my side. GraphicConverter uses Apple Spotlight.
Synology has to support the Spotlight index.
nicko74

Post by nicko74 »

Synology's new Universal Search featured allows Spotlight to function as mostly as normal when searching my drives in Finder. The only thing it can't seem to do is generate thumbnails for the icon view, I have to switch to columns and view my images one at a time, which is a real pain when searching for an image. :(
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

So, the GraphicConverter search should work as usual. It just calls Spotlight.