[Solved] Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
crs

[Solved] Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file

Post by crs »

Hi all,

I apologize if this is obvious or by design. I recently got a new camera that can create Canon Compressed Raw files (CR3). These are about half the size of regular raw files. I see support for them was added in December.

If I 'Import From Digital Camera' a CR3 file using GC on my Mac, it is copied over to my selected directory. If I view this directory through Finder on my Mac after import, it contains only the CR3, which is what I'd expect. If I then change, within GC, the directory I'm browsing to be the directory I've imported to, the Adobe DNG software is spun up and creates a DNG file - but only at that time. The DNG file is not created until it is observed. (Schrodinger's DNG!) Now I have a CR3 file, and a DNG file (which is 2x the size of the CR3 file.)

Has anyone else observed this behavior? Is there a setting I can change so DNG files aren't created, if this is by design?

I'm running GC version 11.3.3 (4690) on macOS 10.15.7.

Thanks so much,
-Helen
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file

Post by forum_adm »

Please download the lates BETA:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

and uncheck the following option:
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 14.42.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 14.42.jpg (320.81 KiB) Viewed 3297 times
Thorsten
crs

Re: [Solved] Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file - NEW ISSUE, file corru

Post by crs »

Hi,
Thanks for the update.

Unfortunately, while this fixes the DNG creation issue, it renders CR3 files unreadable.
It does not give an error, but both the thumbnail and the opened file are completely black.
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.01.52 AM.jpg
Screen Shot 2021-01-29 at 10.01.52 AM.jpg (493.36 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
Here is the CR3 file for you (let me know if this would be better to email to you). https://artgeekstudios.com/3S7A2861.CR3

Here is the (resized) jpg version so you know what it's supposed to look like:
3S7A2861_1.jpg
3S7A2861_1.jpg (490.27 KiB) Viewed 3290 times
Thanks,
-Helen
macvf

Re: [Solved] Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file

Post by macvf »

Hi Helen,

Could you please send your file directly by email to Thorsten in a compressed way (.zip archive) as this is mandatory to keep all information in the file. Thank you.
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] Importing (Navigating to) a Canon Compressed Raw file (CR3) also creates a DNG file

Post by forum_adm »

libRAW released today a new snapshot of the libRAW with CR3 support.

I added it to the new BETA 4768:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Thorsten