[Closed] Spinning balls with finder actions - best way to solve?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
PakkyT

[Closed] Spinning balls with finder actions - best way to solve?

Post by PakkyT »

For a while now, including through two updates of GC, I have been having an issue with GC either taking a very long time do finder actions or even appearing to be locked up. By finder actions I mean when doing GC actions things are normal but when GC needs to change windows or open a different folder or simply redraw the screen, I get a lot of beach balls. Also I will get times where it locks up and I finally force quit. Second run will also be locked up and force quit that, then finally on the 3rd I get a pop-up...
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.22.30 PM.png
Screen Shot 2021-12-31 at 5.22.30 PM.png (97.77 KiB) Viewed 2015 times
If I try "reopen" then I get the same lock up, but if I say "Don't Reopen" the GC opens right up into the browser.

Outside of GC my finder is working fine as well as other apps. So this behavior seems to be limited to GC's interaction with the finder.

So my question is what is the best way to solve this? I was thinking about backing up my preference, deleting GC, then installing a new copy but I figure I would ask here if there are other library and support files I should manually delete (either by themselves to see if that works or as part of removing GC and reinstalling it).
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Spinning balls with finder actions - best way to solve?

Post by forum_adm »

That looks like corrupted prefs.

Simple trash them with our First Aid Tool:
https://www.lemkesoft.info/files/graphi ... st_aid.dmg

Best wishes
Thorsten
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

I assume if I back up the preferences, run first aid, then restore my preferences that won't work? And instead I will have to go in and restore all my preference from scratch?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Yes, I suggest.
1. Backup the prefs.
2. Delete them with the tool.
3. Check if the issue is solved.
4. Restore the prefs.
5. Recheck the issue.

Thorsten
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

OK I will try it out and see how it goes (sorry for the long delay between posts on this. I keep forgetting to check back here.)
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

A year+ later I am back with this. History is that this never resolved. But I had been planning on upgrading my iMac from an HDD to an SSD and a fresh install of the os, etc. Well took me over a year and I finally did it, living with the spinning balls in GC v11 the whole time.

Background, I did a fresh install of the latest Ventura to the new SSD and manually copied my important data over which was basically my Digital photos and my Music library. I didn't migrate anything automatically from a Time Machine backup nor Migration Assistant and have been downloading and installing fresh any apps as I have needed them. This includes buying and installing the new v12 of GC (I was on v11 previously). However I did find when I brought over some of the GC folders from my old drive where I had some IPTC files and other stuff I found and restored the settings which may have been a bad thing? Spinning balls still.

So today I downloaded the first aid app and removed all the preferences and rebuilt them from scratch by opening setting and setting each one. But even when just starting at a setting screen the beach ball would start spinning for long periods. And of course during normal use lot of spinning balls. I wonder if there was something in the old preference files that corrupted something else in GC and even blowing away preferences and manually doing them doesn't help.

I am at a loss of what to do next. Suggestions? Are my preference files something I can send to you to try and a test machine to see if you get the same problems? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

1. Please email your exported prefs to support@lemkesoft.de
2. What are you exactly doing? When does the spinning wheel appear?
Please email a short screen recording to support@lemkesoft.de
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

I will see if I can get a video. Of course when I posted the last response it was going it heavily and last night trying to get it to do it for a screen recording, it wasn't really doing it.

To answer your question, it doesn't really hang up while actively doing GC specific things but instead when doing finder things like changing folders, pulling down menus, clicking on a different photo, etc. So for example, if I am in the IPTC edit screen it might do it when I am jump around to different tabs or fields, however once I say to save them, it will do that parts without spinning balls.

Further background, the only apps I usually am running or are active on my system (active = apps that monitor things) are Chrome browser, the Music app, and then Dropbox, Google Drive, and Carbon Copy Cloner. If there are any conflicts between GC and any of those, I never notice the spinning balls on any of them, only on GC. So for example if I am playing music I never experience any sort of pause, glitch, or issues from the Music app itself.

I will try again tonight to capture the problem on a recording.
PakkyT

Post by PakkyT »

Well of course lately it has been better. I still get it but usually only a few seconds of spinning ball at a time instead of minutes. I will keep an eye on it and report back if I have a particularly bad episode and can screen capture the behavior for you.
Fotokunst

Re: [Closed] Spinning balls with finder actions - best way to solve?

Post by Fotokunst »

Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2023-05-08.jpg (293.91 KiB) Viewed 1514 times

On my iMac 2019 - quick SSD - I changed these two settings.

In your case - Is this from spotlight?