[Solved] How to display the file format (file type) as an image attribute in Icon / List / Small List view?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

Re: [Solved] How to display the file format (file type) as an image attribute in Icon / List / Small List view?

Post by porg »

Using macOS 11.6.5 and in GC 11.6.1 I browsed ~/Documents/Tests/GraphicConverter/Paradigm-Shift/ a folder which I just created freshly and which just held some file copies for testing purposes.

As said I can not stabily reproduce it. Once it worked, it continued to do so. But I experienced filename sync propagation issues more than once. So something must be up to it. Let's leave it for now. Should I experience it again, I will report here.

Now the praise 🙂 For submitting mockups for another issue (will post it soon) I needed to compress PNGs as JPGs to the file limit of 500 kB per attachment (btw, quite low for nowadays) which you have on this phpBB forum here. Was a good opportunity to test the new feature.

Great user experience:
File format as attribute - Added to Graphic Converter in version 11-6-1.jpg
File format as attribute - Added to Graphic Converter in version 11-6-1.jpg (396.46 KiB) Viewed 923 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Solved] How to display the file format (file type) as an image attribute in Icon / List / Small List view?

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks.

I increased the attachment limit now to 1MiB
porg

Post by porg »

Now I again experienced something unordinary which has to do with synchronization of folder contents between FileSystem <-> Finder <-> GraphicConverter.

Reproduction:
1) Working directory open in Finder and GC browser.
2) Nothing else open in GC.
3) Performing a Quick Convert to Subfolder of two PNGs to half size (from @2x to @1x prior forum upload) with my batch "scale 50 percent". My Subfolder name is defined as "_export".
4) Checking 1.png and 2.png within _export/. Is ok.
5) In Finder I move 1.png and 2.png to "..", their parent directory where the originals 1.png and 2.png reside to intentionally overwrite them as I do not need the @2x PNGs anymore. I have the source screenshot compositions in my Snagit Library anyhow.
6) Finder gives me the warning "Already there! Wanna replace?" and I select [√] for all and confirm to overwrite.
7) Finder crashes
- I cannot recall when I last had a Finder crash. I think never ever since macOS X. I had some stalls where I force-restarted Finder. But never crash.
- On dozen occassions I overwrote files by moving same-named files from source to target. Never an issue.
- But now as GC was open at the same time, which had that directory open in it's browser, and the two files just quick-converted (maybe still some file hooks/handlers open?) Finder crashed.
- I cannot do other than be suspicious towards GC. I did not submit the Finder crash to Apple. But provide it to you now: Public here or better in PM ? I saw nothing privacy-sensitive in it. But I let you judge where best to send that Finder crashlog to.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

GraphicConverter is not responsible for a Finder crash. Every application processes run in its own environment.

You can forward the crash to me if you want.
porg

Post by porg »

✅ Closing this issue from my side too:
- LemkeSoft inspected the crashlog and it was entirely unrelated to GraphicConverter
- Had no issues with file replacements since then so far