[Added] QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Added] QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Post by porg »

I already proposed Batch Name and Quality Parameter get tokens for renaming feature.

The cons of it are:
1) You would have to integrate the batch-name and quality-name inclusion it the workflow of each of your batch workflows.
2) You could integrate that into your personal boilerplate, and just duplicate and then change/add the specifics.
3) But then again if you would want to change the naming pattern/convention of where how the batch-name and quality-name get included in the filename you would need to change it in each batch preset instance.

Hence in addition to the linked feature, I propose a complimentary generic dynamic file folder naming feature:

To be integrated into the Quick Convert dropdown menu like this:
QuickConvert Dropdown Menu gets option to include batch-name and quality-parameter into folder and or file name.png
QuickConvert Dropdown Menu gets option to include batch-name and quality-parameter into folder and or file name.png (197.92 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
The dialogs would work like this:

QuickConvert Dropdown Menu Followup Dialog - Use generic filename tokens.png
QuickConvert Dropdown Menu Followup Dialog - Use generic filename tokens.png (67.49 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
QuickConvert Dropdown Menu Followup Dialog - Convert to subfolder of variable name.png
QuickConvert Dropdown Menu Followup Dialog - Convert to subfolder of variable name.png (63.29 KiB) Viewed 1168 times
Last edited by porg on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:00 am, edited 3 times in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Post by forum_adm »

I added now an option for the folder name.

The change of the file name is a batch action. Because the batch actions support multiple save operations.
porg

Testing & addressing your concerns

Post by porg »

I added now an option for the folder name.
  • ✅ Tested in GC 11.6.1 (5480). It is accessible & actionable.
  • ❌ &batchname; adds an undesired ".gcaction" suffix. Should only be the filename portion of the batch name.
  • 💡 &fileFormat; and &fileFormatUPPERCASE; placeholders becomes a necessity for folders now. Not needed for filenames, b/c there it is contained in the file suffix anyhow. Should the batch or quick conversion have the possible outcome of different file formats in one quick conversion (is that a possibility?) then they return "mix" or "MIX".
  • ❓ Would it be possible to show the subfolder string with the variables raw not solved in the dropdown menu as depicted on my mockups? If not the current form is ok. WYSIWYG/preview for transparency/comprehension is always the best UX.
The change of the file name is a batch action. Because the batch actions support multiple save operations.
  • What about my rationale about offering it both as a batch action and an optional quick conversion option which by default is "No change"?
  • The quick conversion option has huge maintenance advantages as laid out.
Multiple save operations
  • Is the following batch possible in GC ?
    • Do some image processing, e.g. rotate +90°, add " +90dg" to filename, e.g. "photo1 +90dg.jpg" "photo2 +90dg.jpg"
    • Do some more image processing, e.g. scale 50pc, add " 50pc" to filename, e.g. "photo1 +90dg 50pc.jpg" "photo2 +90dg 50pc.jpg"
  • If yes, is this your concern why not to offer a quick conversion placeholder insertion?
  • Solution: If you choose a batch which has only one safe action, then you get the same override warning dialog as when a batch contains a "Change format" option. If the selected batch has 2+ save actions and you select a placeholder insertion option as a quick conversion option, then you get:
⚠️ Your batch contains 2 or more save actions
It is unsafe to use in combination with a Quick Conversion placeholder insertion!
• Disable the placeholder insertion and use the batch as-is.
• Or reduce the save actions in the batch to 1 at max before using it in combination with a placeholder insertion.
[ Okay ]
Last edited by porg on Tue Apr 19, 2022 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Added] QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Post by forum_adm »

The extension is now stripped for the folder name.
porg

Re: [Added] QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Post by porg »

✅ GraphicConverter 11.6.1 (5481) strips the extension of the action name when including it into the folder name
porg

Re: QuickConvert dropdown menu gets options to include batch-name and quality-parameter into file/folder name

Post by porg »

Removed [Added] from title to get attention:
  • ✅ Kudos! You realized my feature request "Convert to Subfolder of variable name…" in an even more elegant way. Great!
    • So the Quick Conversion dropdown now offers a very dynamic naming option for folders
  • ❌ Missing in the Quick Conversion dropdown is the dynamic naming option for filenames
    • I addressed your concerns, but no reaction so far.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

The internal architecture does not allow that dynamic naming, yet.
So, closed for now.
porg

Post by porg »

👍 Thanks for the info!
- That placeholder &batchname; anyhow makes this quite dynamic!
- Will embed a renaming action with &batchname; in each of my batches.

If I make a systematic name scheme change, I do not have to open each batch and edit the naming action, but simply just have to rename the batch files. Still some overhead. But really good enough!