[Solved] Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Solved] Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Post by porg »

Options for Save & Next:
- Save to source folder and copy into sub-folder
- I tried it once. It did this. The folder it created was entitled "Original".
- Is this hardcoded or can this folder name be customized?

Because for a comparable function I found a possibility for customization:
- Quick Convert > Destination: Offer different choices. Among it: Convert to Subfolder
- Name of the subfolder can be defined at: Preferences > Convert > Quick Convert > Subfolder Name: e.g. "_Processed"
Last edited by porg on Mon Apr 18, 2022 11:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Save to source folder and copy into sub-folder: Entitled "Original" by default. Can this be customized?

Post by forum_adm »

This folder name is currently hardcoded.
porg

Ok then

Post by porg »

Thanks for info on the status quo. I rephrased the title into a feature request 😉 Please move it to "Suggestions".

Design Rationale
  • For consistency the name for the "Original Subfolder" should also be customizable as the name for "Convert to Subfolder".
I had this concrete use case
  • For my project at hand I rather needed to customize the "Original Subfolder", a website with a lot of media.
  • Per each project folder the files in root of that folder are the final ones for embedding into the project website.
  • Whereas the subfolder "_" holds the original high resolution or creation/document files.

Code: Select all

project X/
   _/
     aaa 1200dpi.png
     bbb mezzanine.mov
     bbb todo notes.md
   aaa.png
   bbb.mp4
project Y/
   _/
      xxx.psd
      yyy.sketch
      zzz 8MP.jpg
   xxx.jpg
   yyy.svg
   zzz.jpg
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Post by forum_adm »

The folder name can now be changed in the latest BETA:

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 19.08.47.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-12 at 19.08.47.jpg (213.46 KiB) Viewed 5144 times
porg

Re: [Added] Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Post by porg »

1) Cool!
2) Only I could not find it in GC 11.6.1 (build 5477). Where is it?
- In my proposal I said I expect it to find it at: Preferences > Convert > Quick Convert. Not there.
- From your screenshot alone I have no clue from where it was accessed.
Fotokunst

Re: [Added] Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Post by Fotokunst »

I find it on the old place. Open window single image.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-14 um 19.14.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-14 um 19.14.jpg (235.96 KiB) Viewed 5124 times

Joerg
porg

Post by porg »

@Fotokunst: Thanks. Found it too now.
@forum_adm: Please add to prefs too, otherwise to hidden/inconsistent. And ofc they should point to the same setting, hence be in sync.
porg

Re: Possibility to customize "Original" folder used for "Save to source folder" and "Copy into sub-folder"

Post by porg »

Removed [Added] from title to get attention: Please react to my last comment.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I avoid mirroring settings from dialogs to the prefs.

So, that options apply only to an opened document and the settings can be accessed with the "Options" button.
porg

Post by porg »

Ok. But then please make this transparent to users:

✅ Quick Conversion dropdown > Set subfolder name… > Dialog title is "Set subfolder name" and the options start with "Convert to …" so it is clear that this naming scheme is specific for this function here.

💡 Individual file window > Options > The window title should be not just generic "Options" because that gives the false idea this is global. Please rename it something like "Options for single file windows". Ofc with the appropriate GC terminology, I don't know it too well yet.