[Upstream Bug, unfixable] Pixels on canvas are misaligned

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Blocker Bug] Selection border not aligned with pixel grid - Impossible to reliably tell which pixel selected

Post by forum_adm »

2) Check the following BETA option

I split the image for display. So, maybe this avoids your Apple issue.
BETADisplay.jpg
BETADisplay.jpg (244.9 KiB) Viewed 750258 times
porg

Re: [Blocker Bug] Selection border not aligned with pixel grid - Impossible to reliably tell which pixel selected

Post by porg »

MacOS preferences for UI scaling factor
I use myself the "Use more area" setting.
I interpret your info as "It is possible to set your UI scaling to your liking, but nevertheless pixel alignment in GC should work fine at all UI scalings". Please confirm. Otherwise I do now know what to do with your statement.

I tested your further ideas in your newest beta:

Graphic Converter 11.6.2 (5528) > Preferences > General
1) > Edit > Zoom > On Higher zoom Levels > Show pixel bounds : ON
2) > Display Content > Image > Zoom > Optimized display (BETA) : a) OFF and b) ON.

To be extra sure that everything is loaded and activated: Between config 2a and 2b I restarted GC, reopened the last image. Manually restored zoom factor & panning.

Sadly it made no difference. In both configs the misalignment persists:

Graphic Converter 5528 Show pixel bounds.png
Graphic Converter 5528 Show pixel bounds.png (136.47 KiB) Viewed 750255 times
Graphic Converter 5528 Show pixel bounds + Optimized Dispplay BETA.png
Graphic Converter 5528 Show pixel bounds + Optimized Dispplay BETA.png (137.48 KiB) Viewed 750257 times

Hypothesis: Apple's fault?
1) The critical question then is: Why do I not have this pixel alignment issues in any other graphic/design apps on that OS and HW…
2) Why only in GC? What different libraries/methods does GC use than those?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I interpret your info as "It is possible to set your UI scaling to your liking, but nevertheless pixel alignment in GC should work fine at all UI scalings". Please confirm. Otherwise I do now know what to do with your statement.
Yes, that was my intention.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

So, all indicates an Apple issue.

Can you maybe install Monterey onto an external drive and recheck? Because Apple will suggest first an upgrade to the latest macOS upon a bug report.

Also, as written before: all drawing is done by the official Apple Quartz/Cocoa drawing routines.
porg

Post by porg »

I can't upgrade to Monterrey as my MacBook Pro (Mid 2014) is supported only up to macOS Big Sur.
porg

Post by porg »

I have already given up on this, but now I made an interesting find:
• While a dialog is open (Find and Replace Colors…) the pixels re-arrange and are perfectly aligned with the rulers!
• As soon as the dialog closes, the misalignment is back, exactly as before the dialog was open (compared screenshots).
• What does GC do differently while the dialog is open concerning rendering the canvas? It must be a crucial difference!

Pixels 1 unaligned.png
Pixels 1 unaligned.png (73.62 KiB) Viewed 750227 times
Pixels 2 perfectly aligned as long as dialog is open.png
Pixels 2 perfectly aligned as long as dialog is open.png (136.43 KiB) Viewed 750227 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Hi,

I create a cached copy only for the visible part. So, the effect preview has only to be applied to the visible part. I can't use that technology for the normal display with the scrollers.

I use the same Apple SDK call CGDrawImage for the creation of the cached copy as for the normal display onto the screen.

So, that is an additional indication that the display problems onto your system are caused by a bug in the Apple drivers.

Best wishes
Thorsten
porg

[Upstream Bug, unfixable] Pixels on canvas are misaligned

Post by porg »

Thanks for confirming this. I give up.
- Apple has little incentive to fix anything for their legacy devices.
- Nevertheless to get closure I reported this bug to Apple under FB10511386.
- GraphicConverter in production for me: Only on a newer Mac somewhen in the future.
- Nevertheless I will continue to try this and that and give feedback.

Closing this bug:
- Changed title accordingly: [Upstream Bug, unfixable] Pixels on canvas are misaligned
- Added final summary in initial post.
porg

Re: [Upstream Bug, unfixable] Pixels on canvas are misaligned

Post by porg »

17 January, 2023: Snagit 2023.0.3
Improved clarity when captures are zoomed in to 200% or more.
🙂 I and other Snagit users have long awaited pixel precise zoom there. (Was blurry so far).

🙁 Now I got it. And it suffers the exact same bug as GraphicConverter did, as described here.

👉 On macOS 11 on the MacBookPro Retina (Late 2014) the graphics driver for the GPU NVIDIA GeForce GT 750M 2 GB definitely does something wrong in zoomed view.