[Fixed] Deleting a file in Flat View falsely keeps it visible in the listing

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed] Deleting a file in Flat View falsely keeps it visible in the listing

Post by porg »

Reproduction
- Graphic Converter 11.6.1 (5480) on macOS 11.6.5 Big Sur
- Open a folder with subfolders
- Enter flat view
- Delete a file

- Expected/Actual:
- ✅ The file is moved to the trash.
- ❌ It disappears from the Flat View.
- ✅ The next element is selected

Workaround

- After the deletion: Context menu > Refresh thumbnails (F5)
- The deleted item appears, the listing refreshes

Screenshots
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 0 unwanted file selected and shown in preview pane.jpg
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 0 unwanted file selected and shown in preview pane.jpg (131.05 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 1 delete unwanted image file.jpg
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 1 delete unwanted image file.jpg (117.07 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 2 selection moves to next file but deleted file falsely still visible.jpg
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 2 selection moves to next file but deleted file falsely still visible.jpg (120.24 KiB) Viewed 1816 times
Last edited by porg on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 am, edited 2 times in total.
porg

Post by porg »

Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 3 selecting the delete file in the listing shows it broken in the preview pane.jpg
Deleting a file in Flat View of GraphicConverter browser 3 selecting the delete file in the listing shows it broken in the preview pane.jpg (110.03 KiB) Viewed 1815 times

P.S. Last screenhot in new post, because I could not attach it to the fist post. I think your forum has a limit of 3 attachments per post. B/c file-size wise, they were each ca 120kB, so in total all 4 would have been ca 480kb. Which is below the file size limit per post.
Fotokunst

Re: Bug: Deleting a file in Flat View falsely keeps it visible in the listing

Post by Fotokunst »

I have no issuse with deleting files in flat view.
I tested it with my Intel iMac macOS 12.3.1.
Is there a subfolder limit?

Joerg
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Ah - the files are in an invisible folder.

Please enable the display of hidden folders/files in the prefs. That should fix the issue.

Thorsten
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 22.12.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-17 at 22.12.jpg (233.99 KiB) Viewed 1800 times
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

OH, now I have that issue too.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-18 um 04.16.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-04-18 um 04.16.jpg (50.3 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please check this option. It should fix the issue with the refresh of hidden folder content. Please report the result onto your system.
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 09.10.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-19 at 09.10.jpg (235.1 KiB) Viewed 1793 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I debugged your reported issue.

I get here a change notification upon deletion of an item in the flat view. So, please do the following after the release of build 5483:
Open the console and filter during running GC for [GC].

You should get upon deletion in the flat view something like this:
[GC] FlatFolder path changed notification for /Users/thorstenlemke/Desktop/Images/Samples England

Please report your results and tell me in which folder the item was deleted.
porg

Post by porg »

Ah - the files are in an invisible folder.
I do not know whether this is directed at me or @Fotokunst.

In my case of looking at ~/Library/Messages/Attachments/ in flat view it shows files like:
~/Library/Messages/Attachments/xx/yy/zzzzzzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzz-zzzzzzzzzzzz/123456.jpg

So "invisible folder" is incorrect in two ways:

1) Yes ~/Library/ by default is invisible. But because I access it quite frequently via Finder I set my Library folder to be visible via `SetFile -a v ~/Library/` a long time ago. Maybe you do not check the filesystem flags for ~/Library/ but just hardcoded assume it to be invisible?

2) Even if ~/Library/ was set to be invisible, then the statement "the files are in an invisible folder" would still be wrong. Only one folder along the filepath would be be invisible, "Library" in my example.

But in my concrete case all parent folders of 123456.jpg up until root ARE visible.
I went there in Finder and navigated up, up, up. And all were visible.
And I have set my Finder to only show visible files and folders.
So something in your intended meaning or your technical interpretation of "Hidden files and folders" seems to be wrong here.

3) I tested the new function "Change Notifications for hidden Files and Folder" in GC 11.6.1 (5483)

As pointed out in 1+2, none of my files or folder in that flat view are hidden. So semantically it is definitely wrong.

But success: I get the intended outcome! Files get immediately removed from flat view after deleting them when this option is ON. But not when OFF.

Screenshot Story:

Deleting in flat view 1 start.png
Deleting in flat view 1 start.png (429.79 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Deleting in flat view 2 after one by one deletions.png
Deleting in flat view 2 after one by one deletions.png (314.13 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Last edited by porg on Thu Apr 21, 2022 3:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
porg

Post by porg »

Deleting in flat view 3 files at once.png
Deleting in flat view 3 files at once.png (388.85 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Deleting in flat view 4 log entires with same timestamp despite havin selected only 3 items for deletion.png
Deleting in flat view 4 log entires with same timestamp despite havin selected only 3 items for deletion.png (352.94 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
porg

Post by porg »

Deleting in flat view 5 disabling change notifications for hidden Files and Folders.png
Deleting in flat view 5 disabling change notifications for hidden Files and Folders.png (299.27 KiB) Viewed 1773 times
Deleting in flat view 6 files get deleted but remain in browser and preview pane in broken state.png
Deleting in flat view 6 files get deleted but remain in browser and preview pane in broken state.png (308.11 KiB) Viewed 1773 times