[Fixed] When using Browse Recent and then dupe or delete folder the browser unexpectedly jumps you to root

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed] When using Browse Recent and then dupe or delete folder the browser unexpectedly jumps you to root

Post by porg »

Reproduction 1:
1) Browse a folder with subfolders via Menu > File > Browse Recent — e.g. ~/Documents/Tests/GraphicConverter/
2) Right click a folder — e.g. "Selling"
3) In the context menu choose the action "Duplicate"

Expected: I am still in the same folder and "Selling copy" was added.

Actual: The browser jumps to the computer root, e.g. /myMacName .
Disorienting. And you need to navigate back where you came from.
Luckily at least the command was executed. But that sudden jump to root is annoying.

Reproduction 2:
1) Browse a folder with subfolders via Menu > File > Browse Recent — e.g. ~/Documents/Tests/GraphicConverter/
2) Right click any folder, in our case the duplicated folder — e.g. "Selling copy"
3) In the context menu choose the action "Move to Trash".

Expected: I am still in the same folder and "Selling copy" was deleted, so not visible anymore.

Actual: The browser jumps to the computer root, e.g. /myMacName
Again at least the command was executed. But that sudden jump to root is annoying.

Important observation / bug isolation:
- The bug does not occur in both reproductions if in step 1 you instead open a folder via:
a) Menu > File > Browse or b) by drag-n-drop from Finder onto GraphicConverter,
- It seems to be a specific shortcoming of the "Browse Recent" feature.
Last edited by porg on Wed Nov 02, 2022 11:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Bug: When using Browse Recent and then dupe or delete folder the browser unexpectedly jumps you to root

Post by forum_adm »

I can't reproduce this on my three machines.

Please recheck with the next BETA 5489. I changed the deletion calling order.
porg

Re: Bug: When using Browse Recent and then dupe or delete folder the browser unexpectedly jumps you to root

Post by porg »

Interestingly, still in GC 11.6.1 build 5488 but with the preferences reset, both reproductions work fine! No more bugs. 👍

You may want to try to reproduce with porg-Preferences-GC-5488-20220426-110502.xml that I sent you via email.

Maybe related to [Blocker bug] Massive file/folder access issues as of GC 11.6.1 build 5487 where resetting the preferences also solved the bug.

P.S.: Quickly attempted to recreate the buggy situation after the preferences reset: For a folder I tried flat view, which I suspected to maybe involved in the preconditions of this bug. In flat view deleting a file and undoing instantly correctly showed the result, so Deleting a file in Flat View falsely keeps it visible in the listing seems permanently solved too. And then subsequently opening that folder via Browse Recent still worked fine. So as a first superficial test, rather ruling out flat-file-view being the precursor for this bug.