[Added] Toolbar button to jump to Apple Maps or Google Maps

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
KevinKillion

[Added] Toolbar button to jump to Apple Maps or Google Maps

Post by KevinKillion »

I'd love to see an optional button on the toolbar to jump immediately to the Apple "Maps" app to display the location of the current picture.

Why? Because the map currently in GC is not as detailed as "Maps".

Nuances:
- the button would be an optional addition to the toolbar
- it would be dimmed if the current photo has no GPS info
- launch "Maps" if not already open
- easy enough for the user to do Cmd-Shift-D in "Maps" to put a pin at that location.
- This would also make it super easy to create a map showing all the pins for the locations of several photos.

•••ALSO•••: In GC itself, if the Info "Map" panel is showing, and a photo is opened that does NOT have location info, the Info "Map" panel should be cleared. Currently, the map for the last photo that DID have location info is still shown.

Thanks for considering this!
Kevin Killion
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Toolbar button to jump to Apple Maps or Google Maps

Post by forum_adm »

Hi Kevin,

I added now optional toolbar buttons for this.
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

The map panel keeps the last displayed map (without position indicator) because some users use this to assign a similar position to the next opened image.

The map panel uses the Apple MapKit. So, it should be similar to the display of the Apple Maps app.
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 09.30.19.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-26 at 09.30.19.jpg (203.19 KiB) Viewed 631 times
KevinKillion

Re: [Added] Toolbar button to jump to Apple Maps or Google Maps

Post by KevinKillion »

OMIGOSH! Thank you!

Things I have learned:

1) Upgrade to 11 now purchased. Why was I dawdling? I LOVE THIS INSANELY GREAT PROGRAM!

2) Holy moly, you are a developer who JUMPS on possibilities to make your system even better. Unbelievably fast response!!!!

3) Your implementation of those new toolbar buttons for Apple and Google maps is simple, beautiful, elegant!

4) I just learned that silly old Apple has no way to show several custom pins at the same time except via their one and only list, called “Favorites”, which disrupts the possibility of separating different purposes. But this CAN be done in Google Maps by creating a new list. And GC now makes it easy to go to either map. Yay!

5) You wrote: “The map panel keeps the last displayed map (without position indicator) because some users use this to assign a similar position to the next opened image.”
YES, this makes perfect sense. Thanks!

6) You wrote, “The map panel uses the Apple MapKit. So, it should be similar to the display of the Apple Maps app.”
Absolutely correct. My apologies for suggesting otherwise :)

Again, THANK YOU!
Kevin Killion
kevin@shsmedia.com