- As of GraphicConverter 11.6.1 zooming via gesture always zooms with the center as the reference point.
- This is counter productive for the majority of use cases!
- Especially when making a selection in the totale, then zooming in towards one of the edge points of the selection to set it exactly. You loose a lot of time with zooming, then panning/scrolling until having the selection edge point visible in the viewport again.
1) When zooming via trackpad gesture
a1) …and the cursor is over the canvas then zoom towards the reference point.
a2) with recentering taking place as long as the content is not filling the viewport entirely. As soon as the content fills the viewport, zooming means that the pixel under the cursor remains exactly where it is and the other image content moves away or towards this reference point, depending whether you zoom in or out.
c) … and the cursor is in the viewport but over the non-canvas-part then zoom center-based.
This is exactly as Preview.app does it.
2) When zooming with CMD—+/-
a) …and the cursor is somewhere over the viewport which is not the canvas or somewhere in the toolbar of the window or even outside the window, then zoom with the center as the reference point.
b) …and the cursor is over the canvas then zoom towards the cursor
a is as Preview.app does it, b would be unique to GC. But appropriately precise for the pro app that GC is.
3) When zooming via slider or numerical input
Zoom to the center, because the pointer is then not in the viewport, but over the UI elements.
See the comparison video
GraphicConverter zooms towards the center vs. Apple Preview.app zooms towards the cursor