[Fixed] Bug: Snap zoom focus to mouse position IS IGNORED

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed] Bug: Snap zoom focus to mouse position IS IGNORED

Post by porg »

• As of GraphicConverter 11.6.1 zooming via gesture always zooms with the center as the reference point.
  • This is counter productive for the majority of use cases!
  • Especially when making a selection in the totale, then zooming in towards one of the edge points of the selection to set it exactly. You loose a lot of time with zooming, then panning/scrolling until having the selection edge point visible in the viewport again.
GraphicConverter should ideally zoom towards the cursor position whenever possible/meaningful:

1) When zooming via trackpad gesture
a1) …and the cursor is over the canvas then zoom towards the reference point.
a2) with recentering taking place as long as the content is not filling the viewport entirely. As soon as the content fills the viewport, zooming means that the pixel under the cursor remains exactly where it is and the other image content moves away or towards this reference point, depending whether you zoom in or out.
c) … and the cursor is in the viewport but over the non-canvas-part then zoom center-based.
👉 This is exactly as Preview.app does it.

2) When zooming with CMD—+/-
a) …and the cursor is somewhere over the viewport which is not the canvas or somewhere in the toolbar of the window or even outside the window, then zoom with the center as the reference point.
b) …and the cursor is over the canvas then zoom towards the cursor
👉 a is as Preview.app does it, b would be unique to GC. But appropriately precise for the pro app that GC is.

3) When zooming via slider or numerical input
👉 Zoom to the center, because the pointer is then not in the viewport, but over the UI elements.

See the comparison video
▶️ GraphicConverter zooms towards the center vs. Apple Preview.app zooms towards the cursor
Last edited by porg on Tue Nov 29, 2022 8:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.
porg

Re: Zooming should be towards cursor position whenever the cursor is over the image

Post by porg »

There is: Preferences > General > Edit > Zoom > Focus: [√] Snap zoom focus to mouse position
which sounds to do exactly what I proposed in point 1. 👉 But it does not work! 🙁

Zoom happens always towards the image center and not towards the cursor position.
Did not get it that to work with my trackpad (which I always use).
Also with a mouse which I attached for testing purposes only, I could not get it to work.

Could there be another setting which interferes with this? Or is it a bug? (Using build 5637 currently)
porg

Re: Bug: Snap zoom focus to mouse position IS IGNORED

Post by porg »

Today in a videocall @forum_adm confirmed to me that this setting is supposed to do what I expected.

But for some reason it us currently not working in: GraphicConverter 11.7.1 (5646) on macOS 11.7

Please investigate.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: Please move to Technical Support, as this meanwhile is confirmed to be a bug, as what I suggested was already working.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm : Please move this to "Technical Support"
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I am working onto this issue now.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with build 5681. That should fix the issue.
porg

Post by porg »

Tested in build 5681

✅ 1) Great improvement already: If the image fills the canvas entirely, then the zoom gesture works towards the mouse cursor position.

❌ 2) But the user experience is yet incomplete:

• If the image is not (yet) filling the canvas completely, the mouse cursor position is ignored and GC just zooms towards mid-center. See video: ▶️ GraphicConverter - Snap zoom focus to mouse position - build 5681

• Note: Preview.app does this better: When you perform your zoom gesture it temporarily disables automatic image centering. It only re-centers when you lift your fingers from the trackpad or pause your zoom gesture for at least 2 seconds, whatever comes first. See video: ▶️ Apple Preview App - Zooms towards mouse position and re-centers only when paused or stopped

• GC build 5681: Your zoom will be towards the image center, and only when the image fills the canvas, from then on the zoom really works towards the mouse cursor.

• So as a workaround you currently have to perform zoom gestures:
1) Zoom until your image fills the canvas.
2) Now put the cursor where your want to zoom to.
3) Now perform the zoom gesture.

Proposal: During the zoom gesture GC should temporarily lifts that automatic centering so that the zoom works really towards the cursor.
- Only when you lift the fingers GC re-centers (should the image not yet fill the canvas)
- I recommend to not recenter after a zoom pause of 2 secs. Good for a minimalist & easy app like Apple Preview, but not for a pro app like GC.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I can not temporarily disable the automatic centering due the internal design.
porg

Post by porg »

I thought so.

The core problem (title of the issue) is solved. Closing as [Fixed]

Solving the second part of the issue: When you do your big overhaul on zooming, if possible please factor that requirement in, so that an interaction like this becomes potentially possible.