[TODO] Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preferences

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[TODO] Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preferences

Post by porg »

What am I doing/getting wrong?

GraphicConverter Browser Display Show Number of Subfolders and Files CHECKED but not shown where expected.png
GraphicConverter Browser Display Show Number of Subfolders and Files CHECKED but not shown where expected.png (255.67 KiB) Viewed 2055 times
Last edited by porg on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fotokunst

Re: Browser > Display > Show: Number of Subfolders and Files both CHECKED but not shown where expected

Post by Fotokunst »

I removed my two comments.
I was wrong, sorry.

Joerg
Last edited by Fotokunst on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:28 am, edited 3 times in total.
Fotokunst

Re: Browser > Display > Show: Number of Subfolders and Files both CHECKED but not shown where expected

Post by Fotokunst »

Removed.
Last edited by Fotokunst on Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Number of Files and Number of Folders are displayed in the folder tree at the left of the central browser area.
porg

Re: Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preference

Post by porg »

GraphicConverter Browser Display Show Number of Subfolders and Files are columns in the folder panel on the left actually.png
GraphicConverter Browser Display Show Number of Subfolders and Files are columns in the folder panel on the left actually.png (375.44 KiB) Viewed 2044 times

@Fotokunst Joerg: Thanks for your effort, but my question was really on where I am supposed to see that number of subfolder and number of files.

@forum_adm: Thanks for the answer! I had the preview pane hidden. But even when I enabled it again after your instruction here on the forum, I still did not see numbers near the folder items in the tree pane which takes ca 20% of the screen width. I then maximized the pane width in search of numbers and realized that the "Tree" (aka Name) column was ca 70% of my screen! It's a "well hidden feature". 😉 😂

Proposals for improvement:

1) Preferences > Browser > Display

Current section "Show" gets split into "Show" and "Folder Panel (on the left)"

Show: Keeps all options, except these two which we rip out.

Folder Panel (on the left): <-- That name makes clear also to outsiders where to even look for it!
[ ] Number of subfolders
[ ] Number of files

2) By good defaults and initialization ensure that it is "a well hidden feature" no more because that's a pity. It is something cool which should be discovered by more users! Ensure that when activating either of that options in the preferences for the first time, to reset the columns widths so that even on a small screen all three columns "Tree" (aka Name), "Folders" and "Files" column ARE visible. I would never have detected this without your help! And I did not modify the column widths certainly. Only 1-2 days ago I have reset my preferences, so I'm certain that the "Tree" column was that absurdly wide (ca 70% of my screen width).
Last edited by porg on Thu Apr 28, 2022 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porg

Re: [TODO] Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preferenc

Post by porg »

1) Please move to "Suggestions" as this turned into a small usability suggestion now.

2) Rephrased title with which it could be added to the release notes when done:
- From: Browser > Display > Show: Number of Subfolders and Files both CHECKED but not shown where expected
- To: Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preferences
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [TODO] Options to display number of folders and files in Folder Side Panel get better visible in panel and preferenc

Post by forum_adm »

I optimized the prefs panel for build 5493:
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.51.32.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-04-29 at 10.51.32.jpg (244.92 KiB) Viewed 2016 times
porg

Post by porg »

Tested in 5494:

0) Please move issue from "Technical Support" to "Suggestions" as this developed into a small improvement issue eventually.

1) Preferences were restructured as on your screenshot.

2) Did a full reset, to test initial settings: Its bad. The tree column width is far wider than the panel width. Even wider as the longest folder name on the root level of the tree. I guess it is as wide to accommodate the longest possible name in the deepest tree branch when the tree is fully expanded. Or it just is a fixed pixel or screen-precentage-width? Anyhow, I again want to stress out: That makes the feature hard to discover for new users.

3) Number columns should be right aligned! That way numbers are better comparable. Semantic reminder: Arabic numbers, hence growing from right to the left. Currently numbers are center-aligned. Not well comparable.

4) Also I tried Preferences > Browser > Display > Folder tree (at the left) > Disable horizontal scrolling.
- Has no effect in the tree area. I would imagine that file names then get elipsiated in the fixed space they got available by the layout. But it does just nothing.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

This is from Lightroom - as example.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-01.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-05-01.jpg (31.05 KiB) Viewed 1982 times

Joerg
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

3) The number are now right aligned in build 5499.

2/4) Should the table be limited to the panel size with enabled numbers?