[Workaround] Spotlight Comment Integration: R&W in Multiline Text Area in Preview Pane + Prev/next buttons +

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Workaround] Spotlight Comment Integration: R&W in Multiline Text Area in Preview Pane + Prev/next buttons +

Post by porg »

GraphicConverter Spotlight Comment Integration in Browser - Various Improvements.png
GraphicConverter Spotlight Comment Integration in Browser - Various Improvements.png (528.82 KiB) Viewed 878 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Spotlight Comment Integration: R&W in Multiline Text Area in Preview Pane + Prev/next buttons + Wider Support

Post by forum_adm »

I suggest to NOT use the Finder/Spotlight comment. Because this comment gets lost during transfer by email, ftp or to a not Apple formatted drive.
Please always use the IPTC/XMP caption for such comments.
That field is stored inside the image file and also indexed by Apple Spotlight.
porg

Re: Spotlight Comment Integration: R&W in Multiline Text Area in Preview Pane + Prev/next buttons + Wider Support

Post by porg »

Thanks for your warning and recommendation.

I'm aware that the Spotlight comment is filesystem metadata only, and of all the filesystem metadata which Apple offers (label, tags, comment, arbitrary xattr for expert users) it is the most buggy and unreliable one, I myself already experienced loss of Finder comments.

Nevertheless, putting the deficiencies of Spotlight comments apart, for use cases where I as a user willingly nevertheless want to use them, would you be willing to implement some of the proposals?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I will think about it. Maybe an optional sync of the caption to the spotlight comment is an option.
porg

Post by porg »

The use case I had in mind is for folders with very mixed content, for situations were GC as a browser trumps Finder as a browser.

With some files not being the domain of GC at all, so no media files with a IPTC/XMP header but rather Spreadsheet files, config files, text documents, etc, also among it.

Hence Spotlight Comment as the lowest common denominator.

And I thought: You have the method already, currently there is only an artificial/arbitrary filter to exclude those files and folders from editing Spotlight within GC. So it would just be a removing of a limitation.

Plus some UX improvements on existing functions as outlined.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I added now the following option to the Edit IPTC/XMP dialog.

So, the user fills the standard caption field and can get the Spotlight comment in addition.
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 12.51.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-05-02 at 12.51.jpg (242.93 KiB) Viewed 855 times