[Solved] Selection significantly slower (ca 3 FPS)

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Solved] Selection significantly slower (ca 3 FPS)

Post by porg »

Creating, resizing, repositioning a selection is significantly slower (ca 3 FPS instead of ca 60 FPS) in build 5517 than it was in <= build 5515.

I suspect one of the recent selection related feature changes to be responsible for this:
Selection Handles: More descriptive names for the customization preferences 👉 Unlikely, as drawing a small blue dot instead of small black/white square, doesn't make that much of a difference, and the lagginiess is the same in all 3. But maybe you changes something in the handle-draw routine overall which slows it down.
Show Position Window value-refreshing and other inconsistencies 👉 Very likely that the root cause is here. As updating from more events is by tendence more expensive. But still. Is should not be that slow.

Luckily this only happened when opening the first image after the upgrade.
• Quitting GC, restarting GC, then opening the same image: Works speedy and smooth as ever.
• Nevertheless as a word of caution, I wanted to share this. Should the slowdown occur again I will inform here.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Selection significantly slower (ca 3 FPS)

Post by forum_adm »

I can't reproduce this here.

The drawing code has not changed (only the support for the round knobs was added).
porg

Post by porg »

Luckily also for me this was a one-time.
Should it resurface I will inform.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

I use an Intel iMac 2019 - 64GB RAM, Radeon Pro 580X.
On macOS Big Sur I know such a slow mothion. All Apps were suddenly very slow.
But I dont know what exacly happened.
After restarting the iMac all was fine.

Joerg