[Solved] File Rename: Field editable only sometimes + Renaming gives beachball + Next image in folder then fails

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Solved] File Rename: Field editable only sometimes + Renaming gives beachball + Next image in folder then fails

Post by porg »

My folder where I wanted to browse and rename multiple image files

Kiosk PM/
Kiosk PM 0.png
Kiosk PM 0a.png
Kiosk PM 0b.png
Kiosk PM 0c.png
... 315 files in total in this folder ...

Now I want to do add "Subtitle" into the file names, to get then this naming scheme:

ProjectName OrdinalNumber Subtitle.png

Kiosk PM/
Kiosk PM 0 Sprint Planning + Epics + Amount of Tickets.png
Kiosk PM 0a Backlog.png
Kiosk PM 0b Project Size.png
Kiosk PM 0c Epics 35.png

While this user scenario 3 things go wrong:

1. Open image, i.e. "Kiosk PM 0a.png" which shall get renamed to "Kiosk PM 0a Backlog.png"

2. Edit > Navigation > Previous Image in Folder (⌘ ←) or Next Image in Folder (⌘ →) works fine
with Default Zoom = Last Zoom, you get "sticky zoom" when stepping through the images in the folder.

3. File > Rename… (⌘ E) 👉 Here I get 3 kind of bugs:

a) The first 2 invocations of ⌘ E do hide the file name in the window title. Only the 3rd invocation correctly changes the file name into an editable text field, with the entire text selected and the cursor read to type. I had: View > Toolbar Style > "Unified Compact". Changed it to "Expanded" and "Unified" and there the bug is similar. In some settings it is that only every 3rd invocation works, in some only every 4th or 5th invocation works.

b) When having overcome a) I finally get to alter the filename. When done I hit ENTER. I then get 7 seconds of beachball until the filename change really gets committed and GC responsive again. Seems to have nothing to do with the amount of files in the current folder. The beachball duration was similar in folder with 315 files and folder with 27 files.

c) When I then want to continue navigating within the folder to the next image to view and potentially rename it I get these error messages which are not reflecting reality:
Next Image in Folder (⌘ →) 👉 I get a dialog "You reached the last image in the folder."
Previous Image in Folder (⌘ ←) 👉 I get a dialog "You reached the first image in the folder."

Further observation
- Having the same folder open in GC's browser and doing the file renaming there (ENTER to enter file renaming mode, ENTER to commit file renaming changes) works just fine. This is specifically the renaming function in the Editor window which has the bugs.

Environment
- GraphicConverter 11.6.2 (5528)
- macOS 11.6.6 Big Sur
porg

Re: File Rename: Field editable only sometimes + Renaming gives beachball + Next image in folder then fails

Post by porg »

In my current use case I have screenshots of long websites.

In the browser preview panel, the view is hardcoded to "zoom to fit", so I cannot zoom & scroll there. Only the 100% option lets me see a cutout. All not good enough for quickly going through 315 long screenshots.

The normal Editor Window with "Default Zoom = Last Zoom" + shortcut for prev/next image in folder + Renaming shortcut is the perfect UI for the given use case. Only if it would work fast and error-free.
Fotokunst

Re: File Rename: Field editable only sometimes + Renaming gives beachball + Next image in folder then fails

Post by Fotokunst »

c) When I then want to continue navigating within the folder to the next image to view and potentially rename it I get these error messages which are not reflecting reality:
Next Image in Folder (⌘ →) 👉 I get a dialog "You reached the last image in the folder."
Previous Image in Folder (⌘ ←) 👉 I get a dialog "You reached the first image in the folder."

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 15.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 15.jpg (168.51 KiB) Viewed 1127 times
Change this setting.

Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 17.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2022-06-17 um 17.jpg (35.37 KiB) Viewed 1119 times

Renaming files is quick, no beachball.
Select all files in the browser.
I do this regularly with 100 - 3000 files.

Joerg
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

The rename feature in the window title is completely managed by the macOS. I tried it here and get no beach ball.

I suggest to rename the files manually one by one in the browser by pressing the return key
or use the batch rename as suggested by Joerg.

The error message is caused by the cache. Please uncheck the caching in the prefs:
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 18.11.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-06-17 at 18.11.jpg (247.13 KiB) Viewed 1114 times
porg

Post by porg »

@Both:
- I am aware that GraphicConverter has a batch rename function + renaming capabilities in its file browser.
- But as stated for my given use case the editor with sticky zoom to inspect content and rename in place accordingly would be the ideal UX.

@Fotokunst: Thanks for your hints on the arrows key preference.
- On purpose I had set: Browser > Edit > Arrow keys stops at first and last item.

@forum_adm Updated to 11.6.2 (5532)
Good news:
- When disabling "Cache file list for next/previous" then after the renaming, CMD + arrow-left/right continue to work.
- Do you intend to fix that? If not (desired/possible) then please add a hint "Makes navigation faster, recommended to keep this on. But disable if you need to rename files in the window title bar" (idea: If your cache keeps both filepath and file-node, then navigation could work also after renaming files)

Bad news:
- Have you changed something regarding "Prev/next image in folder" behavior in the codebase?
- Because now at Preferences > Browser > Edit: The option "Arrow keys … " is completely ignored and always uses the behavior "…continue with last or first item at end or beginning".

- Regarding renaming causing a beachball and the filename field in the window title being totally buggy (disappearing, only getting hot on every n-th attempt): I take this just as another aspect of "You better get the newest macOS and in consequence newer hardware if needed" or "I may consider a complete fresh install of my macOS installation which over 20 years was only upgraded and never completely installed freshly, and some (userland) cruft may have accumulated"
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

- Have you changed something regarding "Prev/next image in folder" behavior in the codebase?
- Because now at Preferences > Browser > Edit: The option "Arrow keys … " is completely ignored and always uses the behavior "…continue with last or first item at end or beginning".
I did not change anything here. Works as usual onto my machine.