[Solved] Searching issues

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
CDV

[Solved] Searching issues

Post by CDV »

I am having trouble doing any searches in Graphic Converter. I used to be able to search the IPTC fields pretty easily but now have issues that I'm not sure how to fix. It seems like Mac issue more than a GC one but I thought someone here might have a solution.

I used to be able to use Terminal commands to force Spotlight to re-index volumes (external servers) whenever I was having search issues but that no longer seems to work. I now get a response of "error: unknown indexing state" when I try.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Searching issues

Post by forum_adm »

GraphicConverter just queries Spotlight for any search term.

So, a valid Spotlight index is required for the volume.

Did you try to recreate the index with:
sudo mdutil -E
CDV

Post by CDV »

I have done that. That is when I was getting the error.

I have tried again today and now I do get an 'indexing enabled' response instead of an error message (not sure what changed!). But even though it's been a couple of hours, it still doesn't seem to be working.

The GC search seems to work for metadata I just now enter in, with GC, but it doesn't seem to find any older, pre-existing metadata.

It makes it a bit difficult to do my job. I used to use Adobe Bridge but switched to GC when I got an M1 Mac as Bridge didn't seem to work well with it. So I am hoping that this is just a temporary issue. Maybe the indexing isnt finished yet?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Yes, that must be an Apple indexing issue. Just wait until the new index is done.
CDV

Post by CDV »

You don't happen to know a way to tell if the index is done or how much time is left? (I'm on Big Sur OS).

It still doesn't seem to be working today, a whole day later.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Did you try to click onto the spotlight search symbol in the Finder at the top right of the menu bar? It shows normally the progress of the new index.
CDV

Post by CDV »

Yes, i see that now. I had to redo the commands in terminal to get the index progress to show.

In case anyone else has this issue, the commands I needed to use were:
sudo mdutil -Ea
sudo mdutil -ai off
sudo mdutil -ai on

Just doing the -E and -i commands was not working like it had in the past. The commands with the a got it to index finally. I'm not in the office so I have not checked whether it worked with regards to GC but I would assume so!