[Solved] MacOS Photos Library

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
jasper

[Solved] MacOS Photos Library

Post by jasper »

I added GPS information to my image and then imported my image into my MacOS Photos Library. The Photos library has the map pin in the correct location, but instead of the name of the location there is following message "Looking up location info." Any idea why this is happening? Also, can I tag Faces in GraphicConverter and have those tags import into Faces in the MacOS Photos Library? Thanks.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: MacOS Photos Library

Post by forum_adm »

Does your Mac have an internet connection? Photos has to contact the Apple servers for reverse geocoding.

Photos uses its own face detection and storage. It stores the info into a separate database and not the images.
jasper

Post by jasper »

Yes, I have quite a fast internet connection. Not sure what is going on or how to resolve it.

Thanks for letting me know about the difference in Face Detection. Disappointing, but good to know.

I prefer to only tag locations and faces once, but it sounds like I may not have an option but to tag twice. 1) I would like all of my images to have complete information embedded in them for sharing and 2) I like using my MacOS Library.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

You can do the inverse geocoding directly with GraphicConverter:
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.09.43.jpg
Screen Shot 2022-09-30 at 12.09.43.jpg (274.71 KiB) Viewed 1050 times
jasper

Post by jasper »

Thanks. (1) I tried it with and without reverse geocoding. Same issue. (2) As a additional test, I exported an image from my MacOS Library without location information. Added location data via GraphicConverter and reimported it back into my MacOS Library. Same issue.

I am using the Mac App Store version of GraphicConverter. Would that make a difference? Thanks.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

That is not a GraphicConverter issue.

I tried here with an untouched HEIC transferred directly from the iPhone to Photos. Same issue.

It is a problem of Photos. Did you try to contact Apple?
jasper

Post by jasper »

I haven't yet, but I will thanks.
jasper

Post by jasper »

I contacted Apple and demonstrated the issue by sharing my screen, but I didn't make any progress.This issue isn't documented as a bug, nor as a feature by Apple. Tech support couldn't provide an explanation for the message: "looking up location info." I didn't go to the next level of support, because I didn't have confidence that I would get a resolution. For use in MacOS Photos, it appears that I will need to delete the GPS information beforehand and re-enter it in MacOS Photos.
jasper

Post by jasper »

Btw, separately I assigned a location to an image in MacOS Photos and then exported the image with the GPS data embedded. I compared the GPS address assigned by MacOS Photos to the GPS address assigned by GraphicConverter. The numbers were different. I suspect that is the reason that importing images into MacOS Photos with GPS assigned by Graphic Converter doesn't work. MacOS Photos uses TomTom (https://gspe21-ssl.ls.apple.com/html/at ... n-234.html).
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I embed GPS the standard official way. It does not depend on TomTom.

The GPS format is defined by the Exif specifications.

Please forward both of the files (one GC one Photos) zipped to support@lemkesoft.de