[Solved] Inconsistency: Info window shows dimensions as "width x height" pixel but aspect ratio as "height to width"

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Solved] Inconsistency: Info window shows dimensions as "width x height" pixel but aspect ratio as "height to width"

Post by porg »

GraphicConverter information window shows dimensions as width x height pixel but aspect ratio as height to width.png
GraphicConverter information window shows dimensions as width x height pixel but aspect ratio as height to width.png (36.96 KiB) Viewed 596 times

Proposed improvement: Please state both in the order "width to height" which is the common notation: First the X-axis, then Y-axis.
Last edited by porg on Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rvaessen

Re: Inconsistency: Info window shows dimensions as "width x height" pixel but aspect ratio as "height to width"

Post by rvaessen »

I would also recommend that Ratio be displayed as width to height, since that is the traditional way to display aspect ratio: HD video 16:9 (aka 1.78:1), Standard monitor 4:3 (aka 1.33:1), Classic film 3:2, Cinemascope 21:9, the Golden ratio is 1.6180:1. Many established aspect ratio standards define the ratio as width to height (ref Wikipedia: <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aspect_ratio_(image)>) One might also question whether the aspect ratio should be displayed in units wide to one unit high. In other words should the width be decimal and the height always be one? Ref above: 16:9 HD video aspect ratio is sometimes referred to/also referred to as a 1.78:1 aspect ratio, and the aspect ratio of a standard computer monitor is typically referred to as 4:3, but it is sometimes indicated as 1.33:1. Perhaps the software should display all aspect ratios as X.X:1 and then (in brackets) display a recognized version of that same ratio. For example with HD video it should display aspect ratio as: 1.78:1 [16:9], for the aspect ratio recognized as a Standard Monitor, it would display the aspect ratio as: 1.33:1 [4:3]. This would standardize the displayed ratios in a decimal format, while simultaneously presenting the aspect ratio of established standards in brackets).

Note: We should also keep in mind that some images/video are designed to be viewed in a 'vertical' or portrait orientation; where the aspect ratio should still be expressed as width to height. For example, some mobile phones (Tik-Tok, Twitter and others) use an aspect ratio of 9:16 (aka .5625:1).

Finally, there may be an internationally recognized definition of aspect ratio available. I didn't have time/didn't find one while researching my response to the original posters question/proposed improvement.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Inconsistency: Info window shows dimensions as "width x height" pixel but aspect ratio as "height to width"

Post by forum_adm »

There is already a preference for this.

The users have different requirements for the display.
Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 20.06.jpg
Screenshot 2022-10-25 at 20.06.jpg (236.16 KiB) Viewed 585 times
porg

Post by porg »

✅ Set the issue as solved: A multitude of settings! Totally satisfying all possible needs. Great!

ℹ️ Only thing is that I somehow doubt the default: As the aspect ratio is often displayed side by side with the dimensions in different parts/situations of GraphicConverter's UI I prefer it to be consistent with width x height, so choosing widthFraction:heightFraction as the default.

👍 Thanks for this great flexibility! This is now what I choose:

GraphicConverter - Aspect ratio display style offers plenty of preferences.png
GraphicConverter - Aspect ratio display style offers plenty of preferences.png (505.79 KiB) Viewed 584 times
Last edited by porg on Tue Oct 25, 2022 11:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: And I can't stress it enough: All this great info, where users help users or you help a single user, is sadly buried for all later coming users to a large degree as long as your forum search remains as crippled as it is. Only people googling "GraphicConverter + some search terms" will make use of the collective forum knowhow.