[Unfixable upstream bug] Cannot assign shortcut combo CTRL plus letter

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Unfixable upstream bug] Cannot assign shortcut combo CTRL plus letter

Post by porg »

Build 5636 added All windows to current zoom and I wanted to create custom shortcuts for:
• View→Zoom→Set all Windows to current Zoom ⌥⌘0
• View→Zoom→Change Viewport during set all to→ 9 positional commands: Each CTRL + letter on "mnemonic rectangle" on QWERTZ keyboard:
QWE
ASD
YXC

But assigning the combo of CTRL plus a letter, only worked for Q, Y and X. For all others which I also intended to assign (W,E,A,S,D,C) assigning fails. Instead of assigning it jumps to a command which starts in that name. As Q Y X are not the starting letter of any command that GC could jumpt to the assignment seems to work as a lucky exception.

Then I thought, I'm a hacker, so let's try it by some config files, but also failed with that attempt, see separate issue:
Edit Shortcuts: Please offer import as you already offer export
Last edited by porg on Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Edit Shortcuts: Cannot assign shortcut combo CTRL plus letter

Post by forum_adm »

Apple does not forward i.e. Control + A to the keyDown: method of the dialog.
So, please use a combination with the command key.

I have no workaround for this.
porg

Post by porg »

CTRL + letter is a valid key combo for Mac apps and as global Mac hotkey (e.g. ctrl-→ and ctrl-← to switch Spaces).

Using CTRL in GC for shortcuts is a total "expert user" type of request, so I can totally accept that your GUI for shortcut-assigning does not support it, but would appreciate an alternative method, therefore I proposed Edit Shortcuts: Please offer import as you already offer export to do it with a export file which I modify to my liking and then re-import.

Nevertheless as a last resort as an expert user I still have:

System Preferences > Keyboard > Shortcuts > App Shortcuts > Click "+" button opens dialog to create new custom shortcut

Application: Graphic Converter
Menu Title: View->Zoom->Change Viewport during set all to->Top Center
Keyboard Shortcut: ⌃ W

This worked.

I use this occasionally with apps which do not have their own shortcut management capabilities.

The question is just: In terms of stability and reliability, is this a good clean solution with an app like GC which has default shortcuts plus a built-in shortcut management system, to pack yet another "management layer" (from System Preferences) on top of that?

One foreseeable issue for example: As GC has its major version number in the application name -- currently "Graphic Converter 11.app" -- at latest when updating to v12 all custom shortcuts in System Preferences will break.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with build 5644.

I added now the import. But that was really tricky. I hope that I handle all cases.

So, please check and report.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

Quick testing.
For me it works fine.

Joerg
porg

Post by porg »

❌ 1) Assigning CTRL + single letter within the dialog "Edit Shortcuts" still does not work if there is a command visible (=expanded) which starts with that letter. I am not sure whether you actively worked on that or not.

2) Nevertheless with shortcut export AND import a functioning workaround is now available.
Last edited by porg on Tue Nov 01, 2022 4:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

1) Is an Apple issue - I just do not get a call of the keyDown: method. So, can't be fixed, yet.
porg

Post by porg »

Ad 1) Closing this issue here as [Unfixable upstream bug].

Ad 2) Closed shortcut export AND import as [Added] which for now provides a good workaround.