[Wontdo] Convert & Modify: Drop Area as source should implement "Copy folder structure" preference

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Wontdo] Convert & Modify: Drop Area as source should implement "Copy folder structure" preference

Post by porg »

Preferences > Convert > General > Section Convert & Modfiy: 🔲 Don't copy folder structure

✅ Use Case 1: The preference is properly respected if Convert & Modify's "From:" panel (the center vertical panel) is navigated to a particular folder and there you select a bunch of folders as the source and then press "Start selected Function (⌘⏎) ."

❌ Use Case 2: Doesn't work with drop area as the source
1) Open a GraphicConverter browser window.
2) Show the Drop Area (bottom panel).
3) Drop multiple files from different parent folders there.
4) Right-click anywhere in the drop area. In the context menu click "Open in Convert & Modify".
5) The Convert & Modify window opens. Press "Start selected Function (⌘⏎) ."

Result: The files are copied together flat regardless whether "Don't copy folder structure" is ON or OFF.

Proposal:

1) Not the main issue, but nevertheless, first let's fix some wording:
Preferences > Convert > General > Section Convert & Modfiy: Rename all options into a "positive verbal form":
• Activities not as nouns but really as verbs (a frequent usability problem in German, English tends to a verbal form for labels anyhow)
• In a positive form because that is far easier to comprehend in combination with the boolean checkbox. Some users struggle with double negations (Not Don't create…")
• So our label should be simply "Copy folder structure" and ON by default. Without the double negation pitfall it is much easier to comprehend and to talk/write about it, e.g. here on this forum.

2) Now the real issue:
If "Copy folder structure" is ON and the source is "Drop Area" then folders should be re-created up until their common root.

Drop area:
/Users/jondoe/Documents/letters/A.png
/Users/jondoe/Documents/letters/B.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/numbers/1.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/numbers/2.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/colors/purple.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/colors/pink.png

Destination: /Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/

👉 Result with "Copy folder structure" ON:
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Documents/letters/A.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Documents/letters/B.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Desktop/numbers/1.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Desktop/numbers/2.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Desktop/colors/purple.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/Desktop/colors/pink.png

Explanation: "/Users/jondoe/" is their common root folder. Hence all folder below that got re-created.

👉 Result with "Copy folder structure" OFF:
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/A.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/B.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/1.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/2.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/purple.png
/Users/jondoe/Desktop/my-export/pink.png

Explanation: All files merged together flat at the destination.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Convert & Modify: Drop Area as source should implement "Copy folder structure" preference

Post by forum_adm »

The behavior of convert&modify with the drop area is intended and can not be changed due the internal implementation.
porg

Re: [Wontdo] Convert & Modify: Drop Area as source should implement "Copy folder structure" preference

Post by porg »

@forum_adm

If the "Drop Area" does not support it, could the "Drag and Drop Converter", which you recently recommended to me, support the "Copy folder structure" preference? If so then please:

When setting the dropdown menu "Destination Folder" to option "Convert To Other Folder" then below the following checkbox gets visible:

[√] At destination recreate subfolder structures from the common root folder of the dragged files

alternative wording:

[√] At destination recreate relative filepaths up until common root folder of dragged files