[Added] ColorSync: Better preferences and dialog to make transparent how profile fallback works

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Added] ColorSync: Better preferences and dialog to make transparent how profile fallback works

Post by porg »

GraphicConverter ColorSync - Assign by user ad-hoc or by fallback preference.png
GraphicConverter ColorSync - Assign by user ad-hoc or by fallback preference.png (661.66 KiB) Viewed 1536 times

Note on the preference label "Do nothing":
- Per se this is a very good label, nothing to complain about.
- "Always ignore" is worse than "Do nothing"
- But in the context of the dialog "Always ignore" is best
- And in total it is wise to use the same term in prefs and dialog, so that users understand the connection between the two
- Conclusion: "Always ignore" is the best overall term.
Last edited by porg on Tue Nov 15, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: ColorSync: Better preferences and dialog to make transparent how profile fallback works

Post by forum_adm »

I changed the checkbox to a button in build 5650.
porg

Re: ColorSync: Better preferences and dialog to make transparent how profile fallback works

Post by porg »

✅ Build 5651: Testing successfull
• The dialog now contains an "Always ignore" button
• which if clicked changes the corresponding dropdown-menu option to "Always ignore" and this is persisted reliably.
porg

Post by porg »

Reopened issue: The button order now is like this:
GraphicConverter ColorSync dialog.png
GraphicConverter ColorSync dialog.png (31.61 KiB) Viewed 1506 times

My proposal (see post above) was to have:
a) the persistent choices "Always Ignore" and "Always Assign" grouped on the on the left
b) and the ad-hoc choices "Ignore" and "Assign" on the right, and the most likely one "Assign" as the right most button set as primary button.

If this was not a mistake but a design by choice by you which obviously contradicts my design proposal then please add at least a few words to this like "did X differently for the reasons A and B". Otherwise quality assurance and communication gets really hard & lengthy for me, adding unnecessary additional rounds of ping pong.

Nevertheless: Thanks for your efforts for improving the usability of ColorSync in GraphicConverter!
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: Pinging you as I am not sure whether you are still subscribed to this issue after I initially closed it.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I changed it that way for the next BETA.
porg

Post by porg »

Ok thanks.

As you did not state a reason for why it was done differently than in my design proposal I assume it was a simple sloppiness error.

My design proposals (both mockups and behavioral specifications) usually undergo various considerations, best practises and/or design iterations until they reach the form in which I deliver it to you. They usually contain no random parts.

For a fruitful co-operation please pay attention to my design proposals at least for the most striking things like positioning, labeling, etc.

It is a burden to run after avoidable errors after already having spend a significant amount of time to thoroughly create design proposals.

I hope for your understanding.

And thanks for having corrected it now 👍 Will check with next beta update.
porg

Again a wrong button order:

Post by porg »

GraphicConverter ColorSync dialog in b5653 another wrong button order.png
GraphicConverter ColorSync dialog in b5653 another wrong button order.png (18.21 KiB) Viewed 1484 times

Please look at the dialog in the initial proposal and put the buttons like they are there!
As you do it already for the third time now, you may also take the time and wrap the "Please assign one:" onto the first line.
Then this dialog finally looks like something and the buttons have a consistent logical order.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm Please fix.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

will be done in build 5656