[Unfixable on macOS 11 and 12] Customize toolbar: Cannot remove icons from toolbar

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
es

Re: [Unfixable on macOS 11 and 12] Customize toolbar: Cannot remove icons from toolbar

Post by es »

(you might want to change the title to [manually fixable])
I can confirm the same bug on 10.15 Catalina, and this only happens in GC, other apps change the toolbars work just fine, though don't know what makes GC so special

Anyway, I've found a way to manually remove the items
  • In GC move the items you want to delete to the leftmost part of the panel (will be easier to remove if they're grouped at the edge)
  • Find something like this code in "~/Library/Preferences/com.lemkesoft.graphicconverter11.plist" (backup it!) (string ID will be different as it will be the items you moved to the left)
  • Delete the lines at the top when GC isn't running corresponding to the # of toolbar elements you want to remove
  • Relaunch GC and see the useless items gone :)
(an alternative way to find where in the preferences the line is located: copy the pref file, change one toolbar item, copy it again and diff these two copies, the diff will show one line changing order, so now you know the ID of the element)

Code: Select all

<key>TB Display Mode</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>TB Icon Size Mode</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>TB Is Shown</key>
		<integer>1</integer>
		<key>TB Item Identifiers</key>
		<array>
			<string>B5C2A53A-03DD-4595-BFCA-144ECEDBE36C</string>
The section above is located right after this section, and "225C51A8-4F24-4EAD-9414-004BA82E0F47" is unique (while there are two "TB Item Identifiers" sections), so might help locate it easier

Code: Select all

<key>NSTableView Supports v2 GCBrowserColumnOrder</key>
	<true/>
	<key>NSToolbar Configuration 225C51A8-4F24-4EAD-9414-004BA82E0F47</key>
	<dict>
		<key>TB Default Item Identifiers</key>

Last edited by es on Wed Dec 07, 2022 7:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porg

Re: [Unfixable on macOS 11 and 12] Customize toolbar: Cannot remove icons from toolbar

Post by porg »

Thanks for sharing this workaround!
Will share my outcome when having tried this on macOS 12 Big Sur.