Poster Print large image w/ overlap

The right place to speak and share about your experiences of GraphicConverter
dac

Poster Print large image w/ overlap

Post by dac »

When printing a large image (pdf, in my case) from Adobe Acrobat, Acrobat has a "poster print" option that lets you scale the image and specify an "overlap" so that portions of the image are repeated on each of the printed pages, making it easier to overlay the printed pages into a single poster.

The closest I can come with GraphicConverter 11 is to import the large pdf, then print it to pdf from GC using a custom scale with the "Overlap" option specified for "Fit to Page" , then saving as pdf to get a multi-page pdf that can printed from any application, which is exactly what I want. However, the image is cut sharply with the rest of the image picking up exactly where it was cut on the previous page, with no overlap between what was cut off one one page and where it starts again on the next. Is there any way to get a multi-page pdf from the original large pdf with a bit of overlap between the end of one page and the beginning of the next?

(For context, the specific use case here is printing large pdf notebooks – handwritten notes, in my case – exported from OneNote on an iPad. The overlap helps make sure that when the printed notebook is cut off at the bottom of one page the cut off bit is repeated at the top of the next page. This makes text that is cut off at the bottom of a printed page fully available/legible on the next page, for example. If I figure out this last step I can use GC to create multi-page pdfs from the large exported OneNote pdfs and ditch Acrobat entirely, which would very much be my preference. And before you ask, OneNote's pdf export on the Mac is atrocious. The only export that is even vaguely useful is from OneNote on an iPad, but it can't export useful multi-page pdfs.)
dac

Re: Poster Print large image w/ overlap

Post by dac »

I was able to answer my own question!

If you go to GraphicConverter's preferences, in Preferences > Print there is an option "Overlap Width" that is by default set to 0. By increasing this value it accomplishes exactly the overlap between output pages that I was hoping for!

Would be nice if this were available in the print dialogue itself, but now I know it's there in the general preferences at least I can get done what I need to. (Oddly, it's not mentioned in the user manual, except for a note when it was added as a feature.) Awesome!