[Solved]Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Solved]Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")

Post by porg »

Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts…

If you as a user want to customize shortcuts my recommendation until this properly works is:
1) Launch GraphicConverter
2) Don't open file and don't trigger any menu or shortcut as this already may change some of the dynamic menu item names.
3) Immediately go to Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts…
4) Customize shortcut(s) to your liking.
5a) Optional: If you want to backup your shortcuts, then do it now in the "cleanest possible state". Click "Export List…" and SAVE.
5b) Confirm the changes with OK.
5c) Quit GraphicConverter so that your shortcuts get saved to disk in the "cleanest possible state".

The problem basically is:
Some commands have not only
a) their base form like "Undo"
b) but can have an opposite like "Show XYZ" and "Hide XYZ"
c) or a lot of contextual variations like "Undo Scale" or "Undo Canvas Change" or "Undo Filter X" etc.

The practical problems you can have from this:
1) Your shortcut file export is only valid for the base command not the opposite or variations.
2) If later in the app's lifecycle and a menu is already in opposite or varied state then the assignment is only valid for that particular form. Not the base form or any other variations!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with build 5665.

I display (in the edit shortcuts dialog) and export the menu items like Show/Hide Toolbox now without the Show/Hide. That should fix the issue.

Note: You may have to recreate the custom shortcuts - or remove the hide/show before i.e. toolbox in the exported list.
porg

Re: Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")

Post by porg »

@forum_adm : Good news
- I think this issue is fixed, e.g. "Undo" and "Redo" worked with all kind of word combinations, always, also after updates.
- But I leave it open as the closely related issue Custom shortcuts: Lost after each beta update is still ongoing, and when that is solved, I will have better judgement whether this here is really solved too.