[Fixed] Custom Shortcuts: Loss after each update & assignment conflicts

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed] Custom Shortcuts: Loss after each update & assignment conflicts

Post by porg »

This is already the case for a while now.
• Only now I realized the cause.
• For a long time I had suspected the other bug which I also reported just now:
Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")

But it is independent from this:
• I had my custom shortcuts in a good state (followed my workaround as I describe it in the linked bug report).
• Nevertheless from time to time the shortcuts were suddenly gone.
• So when the lack of them annoyed me too much I re-assigned them until fine again.

Now I realized the supposed cause for it:
• Shortcut loss occurs when updating the app. (Beta channel in my case)
• Your custom shortcuts then don't work anymore.
• I suspect the routine which compiles the text/menu modules necessary for the macOS app bundle is not run (properly).

Workaround: Import your backed up shortcuts
• Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts… > Import List… a feature which was only recently implemented.
• Then it works again.
• At least those shortcuts which were saved "cleanly", or in other words not affected by bug:
Custom shortcuts: Should get assigned to base command name (e.g. "Undo") not variation (e.g. "Undo Canvas Size")
Last edited by porg on Mon Dec 05, 2022 2:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porg

Re: Custom shortcuts: Lost after each beta update

Post by porg »

I experience this bug consistently after each update. Again happened now when updating to build 5661.

After the upgrade "Menu > Edit > Undo" has no key binding anymore (instead of the default ⌘ Z) and all my other custom shortcut are gone too.

e.g. Window > Information (customized to ⌘ I). Problem also here is that the base name changes. In the "Edit Shortcuts" dialog it is "Window > Information". In the config backup file it is "Window→Information ⌘I". And in menu it is: Menu > Window > Show Information", so an additional "Show " prefix.

@forum_adm I'd appreciate a response. Thank you.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please email your exported prefs for testing.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with build 5665.

I display and export the menu items like Show/Hide Toolbox now without the Show/Hide. That should fix the issue.

Note: You may have to recreate the custom shortcuts - or remove the hide/show before i.e. toolbox in the exported list.
porg

Post by porg »

Tested build 5667.

0) I reset my shortcuts to the defaults. Saved shortcuts. Quit GC.

1) Restarted GC. Customized 4 commands:

a) Added previously unused shortcuts to commands which have no default shortcuts
Edit→Smart→Smart Cut ⇧⌘X 👈 Freshly assigned
Edit→Smart→Smart Paste at Top/Left Border of Selection ⇧⌘V 👈 Freshly assigned

b) Assigned shortcut which already has a default assignment to command which has no default shortcut yet
Edit→Smart→Smart Insert Space at Top/Left Border of Selection ⇧⌘I 👈 Freshly assigned
Edit→Selection→Invert ⇧⌘I 👉 Command got removed from next shortcut export.

c) Assigned shortcut which already has a default assignment to command which has other default shortcut (got warning, said I'm alright with overriding)
Window→Information ⌃⌘I 👉 changed to ⌘I
IPTC/XMP→Edit File Info (IPTC/XMP)→One selected image at a time… ⌘I 👉 Command got removed from next shortcut export.

2) I already noticed some improvements:

a) Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser (⌘ ↑ ) can be triggered by shortcut again fine now.

b) Undo works again, regardless which specific "Undo" it is, e.g. "Undo Selection" "Undo Move". The same is true for "Redo X". Let's see if this survives another update.

3) Some architectural considerations how you export/import shortcuts.

You currently export

command path --> shortcut.

Regardless of whether command has a default or customized shortcut.

So if you update some labels, the old defaults will break with the new defaults.

Maybe it would be smarter if you only export the customized shortcuts.

Then all default commands will always update automatically, conflict free among themselves at least.

And only customized commands may have conflicts on GC version updates.
- Either conflicts with renamed commands which have your custom shortcuts assigned
- Or custom shortcuts which are not free anymore but are taken by default in the next version.
- Far less conflicts.
- And upon first launch after an update GC could offer conflict resolution fairly ease:

Shortcut Import / Update:

Of your customized shortcuts:
▸ 10 can be imported without problems
▸ 4 conflict with new default shortcuts [ Choose how to resolve ▾ ]
▸ 2 got orphaned and have no corresponding command anymore

[ Quit ] [ PROCEED ]

Notes:
• The dropdown [ Choose how to resolve ▾ ] has these options: Defaults get precedence | Customized get precedence
• Clicking the expander "▸" toggles it to "▾" and shows below all the affected items, per each line "Menu→Path→Command <Shortcut>", if too long then wrapped into a scrolling-wrapper with a max-height.
• There are only the chances Quit and Proceed, because after updating and starting the first time GC cannot further delay that decision. The decision must be made. This rather "pushed into a corner" behavior is ok, b/c it affects only pro users, who needed/wanted shortcut customization.
porg

Post by porg »

After I updated to from 5674 to 5675

Some customized shortcuts continued working after the update:
Edit→Smart→Smart Cut ⇧⌘X
Edit→Smart→Smart Paste at Top/Left Border of Selection ⇧⌘V
Edit→Smart→Smart Insert Space at Top/Left Border of Selection ⇧⌘I
Window→Information ⌘I

But one was unassigned again after the update:
Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser ⌘↑

After the update ⌘↑ again did not work and is not shown when navigating the main menu.

Also re-importing fails very strangely:
1) Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts… > Expand tree until I see that command. It's shown with NO assigned shortcut.
2) Assigning ⌘↑ here in this dialog fails. Always did. It instead is treated linke a normal up-key-press and simple move to the item above.
3) Hence I press "Import List" in that dialog and import my backup.
Success: GraphicConverter imported 134 shortcuts. --> [ OKAY ]
4) Now in that dialog the command Open Document Folder in Browser shows with the assigned shortcut "⌘↑".
5) Intermediary check: Opening the menu now shows the shortcut NOT to be there (yet).
6) I click OK in the "Edit Shortcuts…" dialog to finally submit my changes and to close the dialog.
8) The shortcut is still not assigned in the menu structure. Also after quitting and restarting GC.
I can repeat steps 1-7 as often I want (also omitting 2 and 5) but I always end up with 8.

Cannot assign ⌘↑ anymore. Which is a crucial command: Switch from image in Editor to its parent folder in Browser.

And besides that I'd appreciate an answer to "3) Some architectural considerations how you export/import shortcuts." of my my previous post. Thanks!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I am still searching.
porg

Post by porg »

Thanks for informing me.
porg

Post by porg »

Tested build 5682

- After the update my other customized commands such as Window→Information (⌘I) continue to work.
- Still I had troubles with: Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser ⌘↑
- It showed in the menu but pressing it only triggered a ↑ (single press of arrow up key) triggering a "Move Viewport up" command in the Editor.
- I then choose Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts… > Reset to defaults
- Quit and restarted GraphicConverter as the dialog told me to do for the changes to take effect.
- From then on Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser ⌘↑ (which is a default assignment) worked.
- I then customized my shortcuts and saved this as a shortcuts backup file.
- Let's see if that holds up.

In the course of this testing I realized two more bugs which I will link in the next post.