[Fixed] Save for Web: Preview for WEBP shows other visual quality and file size than in actual output file

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed] Save for Web: Preview for WEBP shows other visual quality and file size than in actual output file

Post by porg »

I'm not sure whether the preview in the "Save for Web" dialog shows reliably the same as the end result when it comes to WEBP.

1) The preview looks way better then the actual output opened in QuickLook or GraphicConverter.
- In the output the compression artefacts are way worse in both the print text and the handwritten parts
- See screenshots below. Some parts redacted.

2) Also the file size that the "Save for Web" preview shows are far different from the actual file size of the resulting files.

a) Scale longest side to: 1600px + Sharpen: None
73 KB in preview, 37 KB in output

b) Scale longest side to: 1600px + Sharpen: 80%
92 KB in preview, 49 KB in output

- That difference in file size makes me suspect that the preview may use a better quality then what is actually used for the output.
- If the visual preview and also the file size prediction both are significantly different than the actual output then the whole dialog makes little sense.
- Please investigate.

Save for Web Preview WEBP 1600.png
Save for Web Preview WEBP 1600.png (744.69 KiB) Viewed 523 times

Save for Web Preview WEBP 1600 sharpen 80.png
Save for Web Preview WEBP 1600 sharpen 80.png (806.44 KiB) Viewed 523 times
Last edited by porg on Thu Nov 17, 2022 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Save for Web: Preview for WEBP seems unreliable regarding visual quality and file size

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks. I fixed the WebP save issue from the Save for WWW dialog with build 5661.
porg

Re: Save for Web: Preview for WEBP seems unreliable regarding visual quality and file size

Post by porg »

✅ Tested in build 5661: The preview for WebP now shows the visual quality and the file size which you eventually get in the output file.