[Added] Editor gets navigation command "Prev/Next image in browser" which steps images in the same sort order

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Added] Editor gets navigation command "Prev/Next image in browser" which steps images in the same sort order

Post by porg »

Status Quo as of GraphicConverter 11.7.1 (5661)
The browser can show
- hierarchical or flat
- and can customize the sort order.
-- By filename, tags, rating, some primary/secondary key sortings
-- And A-Z, Z-A,
-- a lot of sorting capabilities.

When you double click and image or ⌘ ↓ the selected image in the Browser this opens in the Editor.

While in the editor you can use: Menu > Edit > Navigation
Prev Image in Folder ⌘ ←
Next Image in Folder ⌘ →

But these are hardcoded to lexigographical order. And are not connected to the browser display order. This is ok when opening a file directly from Finder. But unintuitive and a "hard break" when coming to the Editor via the browser.

Proposal
I'd propose to extend: Menu > Edit > Navigation:
Prev Image in Browser ⌥ ⌘ ←
Next Image in Browser ⌥ ⌘ →

- This would be intuitive.
- You continue in the editor with the sorting order as used in the browser.
- And when using ⌘ ↑ you return to the browser you came from, with the file selected and the viewport centering the selected file.

Other mentions regarding navigation and browser/editor interplay

1) ⌘ ↑ in the Editor used to open the parent folder in the Browser with the current file nicely selected. I got that hint from you @forum_adm.
As I am currently struggling with Custom shortcuts: Lost after each beta update I tried to re-assign. I found Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser and assigned it "⌘↑" in a hacky way.
a) Assigning the up/down arrows with any modifier key in "Edit Shortcut" fails. It just goes up and down in that list.
b) Manually edited my shortcuts.txt file Removed ⌘ ↑ from the other command that had it by default (Edit→Navigation→Previous Page) and added it to (Edit→Navigation→Open Document Folder in Browser).
c) The shortcut is shown in the menu near "Open Document Folder in Browser" but pressing the shortcut does nothing. Triggering via menu click works.

2) Menu > Edit > Navigation:

Already has these commands:
Previous Item in Browser (⌥ ⌘ ←)
Next Item in Browser (⌥ ⌘ → )

Had the hope that these may do what's in my proposal.
But no. What these actually do are "History Back" and "History Forward" in the browser.
If you would go and implement the proposal these would need to be renamed more adequately.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Editor gets navigation command "Prev/Next image in browser" which steps images in the same sort order as in the Brow

Post by forum_adm »

The browser order is already used depending onto the prefs:
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17.16.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-28 at 17.16.jpg (281.6 KiB) Viewed 702 times
porg

Re: Editor gets navigation command "Prev/Next image in browser" which steps images in the same sort order as in the Brow

Post by porg »

Great to read that!

But this shows that there is a usability issue due to bad wording in the menu:

1) Menu > Edit > Navigation
Prev Image in Folder ⌘ ←
Next Image in Folder ⌘ →

This gives the impression this is hardcoded to "stepping A-Z in the same folder"
- ignoring the possibility for flat view (then you do not necessarily step within in the same folder)
- ignoring the possibility of alternative sort orders as offered in the Browser.

To support the idea that you navigate to the prev/next image as ordered in the browser the commands should be named:

Prev Image in Browser ⌘ ←
Next Image in Browser ⌘ →

2) And as I wrote:
Previous Item in Browser (⌥ ⌘ ←)
Next Item in Browser (⌥ ⌘ → )

Should more truthfully be called:
History Back in Browser (⌥ ⌘ ←)
History Forward in Browser (⌥ ⌘ → )

Because you do not navigate "items" there but rather you navigate the history.

3) The GC → Preferences → General → Edit → Misc → Next/Prev Image: Label "Sort by open browser sorting order" should be "Use sort order from recently used browser" (DE: "Sortierung des zuletzt aktiven Browsers verwenden"). Then it is true for all scenarios.

4) "Use sort order from recently used browser" should be the default. B/c the default sort order anyhow is A-Z so will be the same. But if someone customizes the browser sort order, and then in Editor mode finds a different sort order, this is puzzling. If "Sort by current browser sorting order" will bring the optimal UX for majority of users, and those few who need it differently can customize it here.
Last edited by porg on Thu Feb 08, 2024 2:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

The latest BETA shows now the used sort order in brackets. That should be much better understandable.

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.19.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 10.19.jpg (977.56 KiB) Viewed 233 times
porg

Re: [Added] Editor gets navigation command "Prev/Next image in browser" which steps images in the same sort order

Post by porg »

Ad 1-3) Please rename as I have proposed in the points 1-3 for good reasons! My naming is as exact and unambiguous as possible. For usability concerns I can only urge you to trust me on this.

It is really the sorting of the "Browser". The "Folder" is misleading. There are no "per folder" sorting options in GC. Users could also confuse "Folder" with the sort order of that folder in Finder, etc. It's really no good term here.

Also if you use the word "Browser" you don't need to show the currently used sorting in brackets. Because then it is clear that the Editor and Browser have a synchronized experience, that the sorting there is also used here.

Also in "Use sort order from recently used browser" I put the word "recently used" on purpose. Because it also works if NO browser window is open. Because GC then really considers the most "recently used" browser. Also here my terminology is spot on.

Even with the sort order stated in brackets you made a grammar and style mistake: Not "sort by" but "sorted by". And " - acending" is very long and untelling. And then again, will the shortcuts work reliably with that "dynamically named" menu item, when the sort order and hence the label changes? Followup problems and Apple HIG violations. Better not. Please just use the wording as proposed in points 1-3, and we have already far more clarity and implicit user help.

Ad 4) Will "Prev/Next Image" ship with the option "Use sort order from recently used browser" as its default in GC from now on?