[Fixed for macOS 11+12, had worked on 13] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List View

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Fixed for macOS 11+12, had worked on 13] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List View

Post by porg »

Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files - Wrong PPI shown in column of browser list view.png
Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files - Wrong PPI shown in column of browser list view.png (653.39 KiB) Viewed 1400 times
Last edited by porg on Fri Nov 25, 2022 11:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Resolution of WEBP files shows correctly in Editor & Browser. But not in column of Browser's List View.

Post by forum_adm »

The thumbnail creation uses the macOS Core Image routines. That fetch the metadata, too.
Ventura shows the correct resolution. So, looks like a macOS issue.

The right preview area read the metadata and image with the internal GraphicConverter routines.
porg

Re: Resolution of WEBP files shows correctly in Editor & Browser. But not in column of Browser's List View.

Post by porg »

I am not sure that I understand you correctly:
"thumbnail" technically refers to the mini visual representation of the image file, maybe some values/attributes rendered into it too (as GC can do it).

I complained that the "Column" or "Textblock" in the List View display of the browser show wrong values.
Is that coming from Core Image?

So I understand that macOS Ventura reads in resolution in Exif from WebP correctly, whereas my macOS Big Sur not yet.

I closed the issue with a prefix in that understanding.

Correct me if I took it wrong.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Bug in macOS Big Sur, works correctly in Ventura] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with build 5672 (tomorrow). I added now reading of the Exif data for the list view with the GraphicConverter routines as workaround. That should solve the issue onto Monterey and Big Sur.
porg

Tested GC build 5672 on macOS 11.7 -- Resolution in browser columns still shown wrong

Post by porg »

Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files - Wrong PPI shown in column of browser list view in build 5672.png
Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files - Wrong PPI shown in column of browser list view in build 5672.png (440.41 KiB) Viewed 1376 times

Further Notes:

• Also WebP files created with b5672 which have the resolution tag stored only in one Exif chunk, also show wrong resolution values in the columns.
• This build created a new far bigger bug: Arrow keys in the browser DO NOT work any more for jumping to the prev/next file. Also reset shortcuts. And restarted. Still: The arrow keys do not work at all in browser now.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Bug in macOS Big Sur, works correctly in Ventura] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List

Post by forum_adm »

Cursor keys works here without any issue.

I tried up/down in list view and up/down/left/right in grid view.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

Is there a difference between macOS 11.7 and 12.6.1?

On my iMac 2019, macOS 12.6.1 all arrow keys now issues.

Joerg
porg

Post by porg »

I tried again:
• In the editor making a selection and then moving the selection with the arrow keys works.
• But in the browser the arrow keys do nothing anymore. Also after I had reset the customized shortcuts to the defaults, and quitted GC, and restarted GC. Still that problem.
• @Fotokunst thanks for confirming that you have these issues on 12.6.1 too.
• @forum_adm: In doubt revoke that code commit: Better to have wrong PPI info for WebP files in GC browser on macOS 11 + 12 than having no arrow key functionality at all. Ofc it would be great if both could be working, but if not feasible: The arrow keys are clearly much more important. But please do not revoke the code commit that ensures that Exif chunks for resolution gets written only once (not twice).
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I did not change anything with the arrow keys. They just work here.
Please email your prefs to support@lemkesoft.com

Also, please recheck for the ppi display with the latest BETA 5674. I hope that fixes the Apple issue onto the older macOS.
Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 10.36.15.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 10.36.15.jpg (96.09 KiB) Viewed 1351 times
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

One idea: did you maybe assign the plain arrow keys to any menu command?