[Fixed for macOS 11+12, had worked on 13] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List View

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

Re: [Bug in macOS Big Sur, works correctly in Ventura] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List

Post by porg »

Tested b5674: WebP which has 108 PPI resolution in Exif chunk once (generated with b5672)

✅ PPI info in Preview panel (on the right) in the tabs "Image", "Exif" and "Summary" (in attribute "General: Resolution:") shown as 108 PPI

❌ PPI info in Browser's column (in list view) and grey-text-block (in icon view) still falsely shown as 72 PPI

❌ Arrow keys in browser still don't work. As I have written: I have reset the shortcuts (via: Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts… > Restore to Defaults). So no custom shortcuts should be in GC. Unless ofc there's a bug in the "reset" function.
porg

Re: [Bug in macOS Big Sur, works correctly in Ventura] Resolution of WEBP files shows false in column of Browser's List

Post by porg »

Other observations regarding arrow keys:
⌘ ↑ in Browser to navigate to the folder above works fine.
⌘ ↓ in Browser to open selected file in editor works fine.
Arrow keys in editor move the selection just fine 1px in that direction or 5px if combined with SHIFT key.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

porg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:55 am Tested b5674: WebP which has 108 PPI resolution in Exif chunk once (generated with b5672)

✅ PPI info in Preview panel (on the right) in the tabs "Image", "Exif" and "Summary" (in attribute "General: Resolution:") shown as 108 PPI

❌ PPI info in Browser's column (in list view) and grey-text-block (in icon view) still falsely shown as 72 PPI

I tested this with my iMac 2019 macOS 12.6.1.

Picture changed from 300 to 150 ppi.
List view
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 01.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 01.png (81.09 KiB) Viewed 1288 times
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 02.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 02.png (30.62 KiB) Viewed 1288 times

Joerg
porg

Post by porg »

@Fotokunst 👍 thanks for reporting that a WebP with resolution shows correctly on your macOS 12.

@all ✅ confirmed working for me on macOS 11 too!

ℹ️ Found the root cause: GC's browser cache seems to have had interfered negatively here!

• Had this suspicion: You all showed me success with YOUR WebP files. Maybe the very specific nature of my WebP files was the cause for wrong PPI display in the browser? They were PNGs, got stripped all metadata, then got resolution changed and saved with "Metadata: Store Resolution", then converted to WebP with "Metadata: Always generate Exif to save the resolution".
• I tested this hypotheses thoroughly, which lead me to find the final root cause:

1) Opened a test file. File > Save as… (⇧ ⌘ S) > WebP with not metadata at all.

2) Opened that file. Changed resolution to 144 PPI. File > Save as… (⇧ ⌘ S) > WebP with [√] Always generate Exif to save the resolution.

3) Opened parent folder in GC browser. Suddenly the browser shows the PPI in the columns correct! 72 PPI for the file w/o metadata, 144 PPI for the one with metadata:

Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 1 Shown right for fresh files.png
Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 1 Shown right for fresh files.png (97.23 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

Now why does my newest GC build 5674 not see this in the other folder?

Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 2a Shown wrong in Browser column.png
Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 2a Shown wrong in Browser column.png (94.22 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

The answer: GC browser caching! In Finder I copied that falsely shown file to a temporary folder and opened that temporary folder in GC. And finally the PPI are shown correctly:

Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 2b Shown right in Browser column when same file gets copied or moved to other folder.png
Resolution in EXIF chunk of WEBP files in GC 5674 Test 2b Shown right in Browser column when same file gets copied or moved to other folder.png (74.49 KiB) Viewed 1281 times

Last questions: Where does GC cache its browser data?
• By observation I concluded that GC stores its caching information on files by referencing them with their filepath:
• I simply added " XXX" to the end of the folder name and from then on all files in it showed their PPI values correctly.
• Removed the " XXX" from the folder name again. Then the files showed the wrong PPI again.
• Where does GC store its file-cache? How to reset it properly?
(Because I would like to do this in the future whenever I test a new function or a major update ran. I already remember in the past I once had a caching issue which wasted a day in debugging for me.)
porg

Post by porg »

~/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverter/Cache/

Just delete that entire folder and GC builds it fresh on during your next browsing activities.

The PPI for the same folder (with the same absolute filepath) now show correctly.
porg

Post by porg »

When you start with a fresh cache:

1) Open ~/Library/Application Support/GraphicConverter/Cache/Thumbnails/ in a Finder window
2) Open any image folder in GC.
3) While you scroll in GC's browser you can see how GC's "Thumbnails" caching folder fills up with new files.
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

porg wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 1:25 pm
• Where does GC store its file-cache? How to reset it properly?
(Because I would like to do this in the future whenever I test a new function or a major update ran.

What happens if you click - Refresh Thumbnails or Function key F5 - in the Browser?
Do you see than the correct ppi?

Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 04.png
Bildschirmfoto 2022-11-25 04.png (35.46 KiB) Viewed 1277 times

Joerg
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Also, you can clear the cache in the prefs:
Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 16.14.jpg
Screenshot 2022-11-25 at 16.14.jpg (203.29 KiB) Viewed 1270 times
porg

Post by porg »

Thanks, both functions help:
Refresh Thumbnails (F5) resets the cache for the current directory
"Reset Cache" in the prefs clears the entire cache.

Question to @forum_adm :
"Save cached thumbnails on disk" --> Are the many small write operations to the SSD causing a significant amount of wear leveling? I guess it is negligible and/or negligible small (e.g. statistically loosing 5 days in the lifespan of your 10year SSD life expectancy) in relation to the boost in responsiveness and your productivity (you save more than 5 days in 10 years of your work life due to faster work with GraphicConverter). Otherwise you would not have set this as a default I assume.