[Improved] Edit Shortcuts: Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Improved] Edit Shortcuts: Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned

Post by porg »

Graphic Converter - Edit Shortcuts - Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned.png
Graphic Converter - Edit Shortcuts - Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned.png (271.32 KiB) Viewed 26190 times

0) Go to: Menu > GraphicConverter > Edit Shortcuts…

1) Starting Situation in that dialog:
[...]
Edit→Smart→Smart Insert Space at Top/Left Border of Selection NoShortcutAssigned
[...]
Edit→Selection→Invert ⇧⌘I
[...]
2) I select "Edit→Smart→Smart Insert Space at Top/Left Border of Selection" and press ⇧⌘I on my keyboard.

3) I get a warning dialog:
The shortcut ⇧⌘I is already used for the command Edit→Selection→Invert. Do you want to change it?
[ Cancel ] [ CHANGE ]

Problems

• The first sentence is clear.
• The second sentence is vague. "Change?" What does that mean exactly? Will the old one still have it too?

Proposed improvement:

• Add 1-2 line breaks after the first sentence.
• Change the second sentence to this:
Do you want to remove the shortcut from the currently assigned command and re-assign it to the selected command?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Edit Shortcuts: Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned

Post by forum_adm »

Changed in build 6394.
porg

Re: [Improved] Edit Shortcuts: Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned

Post by porg »

Function wise the dialog still works.

Second sentence was indeed changed.

You did not add the empty line between the two sentences. Please do it. Helps readability!
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Improved] Edit Shortcuts: Improve warning dialog when attempting to assign a shortcut that is already assigned

Post by forum_adm »

The Apple alert manager does not support space following to my testing.
porg

Post by porg »

1) Try whether an escaped new line character "\n" ("backspace n") works in the text string.

2) If not, then please put the stated menu path in quotes, e.g. "Edit→Selection→Invert".

This makes that menu path stand out better on its own. And also separates it stronger visually from the question thereafter.