[Wontdo] App binary: stripped down version to save 30% (~200mb)

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
es

[Wontdo] App binary: stripped down version to save 30% (~200mb)

Post by es »

While trying to reduce the size of some of the huge 1G+ apps on my Mac I've found a utility that can strip non-native architectures (e.g., Intel on Silicon and Silicon on Intel) and after applying this utility as well a the utility that removes all non-English locales, I've found that I can shave almost 200Mb from GC: GC11 is now at 396mb physical, down from ~585mb physical, which is a whopping 32% saving!
That's substantial on some old macbooks

So may I ask that you also distribute a GC binary that is NOT a universal one, but an English-only Intel-only / Silicon-only versions so that you wouldn't have to keep running the junk-removal script after each update?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: App binary: stripped down version to save 30% (~200mb)

Post by forum_adm »

That would break the complete update workflow. I do not want to go back to MacOS 9 workflow with different versions for each language.
es

Re: App binary: stripped down version to save 30% (~200mb)

Post by es »

How would it break the workflow? Currently you have two channels: production and beta. Would it not be possible to add a "Production Intel-only" channel?
Or if that's too much work, then just publish the small file on your website and then there could be a package manager Homebrew Cask mechanism of updating your app that would use that version directly from the website, so there is no need to change any of the app internal update mechanisms, and people who don't need those extra hundreds of mb can continue to use the internal app update
Just the compilation workflow would need to generate/publish more build artifacts