[Wontdo] How to achieve the simplicity of "save as" from the browser?

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
es

[Wontdo] How to achieve the simplicity of "save as" from the browser?

Post by es »

I have the following convenient workflow for converting a single file in an Editor to JPEG
  • ⇧⌘S to save as
  • type the changed file name
  • (if the format is JPEG from previous operations, do nothing, otherwise it would require a few ⭾ to get to change the format)
  • ⏎ to automatically open options (set via "Open→Image Formats→JPEG→Saving→✓Show options dialog")
  • ⏎ if the options are ok (but it's important that I always see the options before saving to have a chance to spot an error
I'd like to replicate this single-file-conversion in the Browser, but the "Save As" menu item is greyed out.
Is it possible to also enable it in the Browser? I understand there are more complicated workflows with conversions etc. (for example, "File → Convert & Modify → Conversion → Convert" doesn't even show the current source folder, so I need to change the whole path and reselect the item I've already selected), but this is the most intuitive and memorable one
Or have I missed something something simple?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: How to achieve the simplicity of "save as" from the browser?

Post by forum_adm »

This is not supported for batch operations.

Just open the selected file from the Browser with command + arrow down or enter (from the extended keyboard).

Now just Save as.
es

Post by es »

Ok, but I don't need a batch operation, just one file is selected, could you enable the "Save As" for this case?
(another thing is, currently there is no keybind to allow me to open the Editor as I'm used to in all other apps with a simple ⏎, so opening an editor first requires more effort that it should, and anyway opening/closing the Editor is suboptimal for when you don't need it)
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

But I would have to open the image, display the editor for execution of save as.
es

Post by es »

forum_adm wrote: Sun Dec 11, 2022 9:29 am But I would have to open the image, display the editor for execution of save as.
Oh, ok, that doesn't make much sense, the whole point was to skip the Editor. So you're saying that this dialog is impossible to invoke outside the Editor?
Interesting limitation...