[Solved] Editor: allow changing single-key shortcuts for Tools

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
es

[Solved] Editor: allow changing single-key shortcuts for Tools

Post by es »

For example, I'd like "X" to enable the eraser, "Z" for zoom and "S" for select etc.

Though ideally (now that I've discovered that you can use single key keybinds for other stuff I'd like to propose a "key chord" for the tooltip, so that I could place all the tools behind a tap of "T": so tap "T" then tap "X" to enable the eraser and have single key "X" available for other actions

Pro-tip: while it's impossible to achieve this within GC due to the keybinding engine limitations, you could achieve something similar (hold a single key, e.g., T, and then other keys (while you continue to hold) will switch various tools) via Karabiner-Elements by creating a new "layer" and remapping various keys to pass a key combo corresponding to each tool (e.g., rebind within GC ⌃⌥+X to switch to tool X and then let (in karabiner) your layer+X to pass ⌃⌥+X)
With proper delays this won't even interfere with typing when you, e.g., rename a file or insert a text element, a short tap of T will simply insert a letter "t" as usual
Last edited by es on Tue Jan 03, 2023 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Editor: allow changing single-key shortcuts for Tools

Post by forum_adm »

so that I could place all the tools behind a tap of "T": so tap "T" then tap "X" to enable
is not supported by the Apple menu manager.
es

Post by es »

forum_adm wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 4:41 pm is not supported by the Apple menu manager.
And is this the only mechanism for shortcuts? For example, I'd be fine if these cool and much more convenient shortcuts were not listed in the "Apple menu"
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

The Edit Shortcuts dialog will support the changing of the toolbox shortcuts with build 5711.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

I will stay with the default Apple menu manager. This avoids issues with upcoming macOS versions.
es

Post by es »

forum_adm wrote: Mon Jan 02, 2023 5:14 pm The Edit Shortcuts dialog will support the changing of the toolbox shortcuts with build 5711.
Thank you!
Though the default keybinds disappeared for some reason, might be worth leaving them so that everyone doesn't have to rebind every tool

Also, for tools with multiple variants it's great to also have another general command that cycles through the variants, so that in addition to binding 4 keys to White Point, Grey Point etc. (in case you often need a specific variant it might be best to bind it to a separate key) you could also bind one key to X Point and then pressing this key multiple times would cycle through these various point tools (this is much better for less frequently used groups of variants)
es

Post by es »

Also, this shortcut doesn't seem to activate the eraser tool
Is backspace reserved in key combos as well like you mentioned (though for non-modifier one) viewtopic.php?p=27801&hilit=backspace#p27801
Attachments
gc_bs.png
gc_bs.png (23.41 KiB) Viewed 1107 times
es

Post by es »

There is also another bug remaining: I've mapped tools to various ⌃⌥+X key combos, and they mostly work, but then single keys X also toggle the tools without any modifier keys, even though they shouldn't
es

Post by es »

And the tooltips show incorrect keyboard shortcuts
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

option X and D was hardcoded. That will be fixed with the next BETA.