[Added] Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Want to submit a new feature, an enhancement ? Do it here !
porg

[Added] Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Post by porg »

New feature: You can set which gap you want between columns and/or between rows:
• 0px = no gap or concrete pixel size for the gap
• color is concretely chosen color, or transparent (if format does not permit transparency use the fallback behavior from the preferences)

In the course of that proposal I took the courtesy so reduce the amount of options, and cleverly achieve the same and even more.
• See the image series. I hope it's self explanatory. If not feel free to ask.

Currently

GraphicConverter Concatenate function currently.png
GraphicConverter Concatenate function currently.png (90.58 KiB) Viewed 1656 times

Proposal (animated screen series)

GraphicConverter Concatenate function redesigned.gif
GraphicConverter Concatenate function redesigned.gif (92.05 KiB) Viewed 1656 times
Last edited by porg on Wed Feb 07, 2024 10:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks for the mockup. The input field requires a valid number - so, infinite is not possible.
porg

Re: Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Post by porg »

Just b/c a single aspect does not (yet) work, should not be a reason to discard a proposal altogether, which overall is much richer.

I'd like to discuss this proposal with you in a video call 1:1, and possibly find some common ground on this. What do you say?

Just send me 2-3 date/timeslot proposals via email, 1 of them should work.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm I had addressed your concern with a solution. But got no more answer then. Does this improvement proposal have chanced for implementation?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

That requires a complete rewrite of that code (for the dialog). So, that is onto the wishlist.
porg

Post by porg »

A "∞" in a number value not being possible was a really negligible argument IMHO. There are plenty design alternatives, like giving a special meaning to "0" or "-1".

A complete code rewrite is a good argument for not doing this or postponing this! Thanks for your answer!
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm : Any plans on these feature additions ?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Please recheck with the latest BETA:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

I added it the following way:
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 08.09.29.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 08.09.29.jpg (95.34 KiB) Viewed 879 times
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 08.09.33.jpg
Screenshot 2024-01-30 at 08.09.33.jpg (39.29 KiB) Viewed 879 times
porg

Re: [Added] Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Post by porg »

1) Concatenate works in batches (finite grid filled up, next batch started) — Was not aware of this! → 🙂

Imagine you have 10 images named 01.png 02.png ... 10.png

When an image set is filled up (e.g. 2 columns x 2 rows, getting filled left-to-right top-to-bottom, so from 01.png til 04-png), and the set gets saved under the name of the first image, so 01.png, then a new set gets filled up (05.png - 08.png) and saved again under the name of the first image in the set, being 05.png, and so on until exhausted, ending with 09.png which has only 09 + 10 on the first row, and only background color on the second row. Was not aware of this. Cool feature. Practical if you want to create photo set cards which each shall be 2x2, and you have e.g. 40 photos as input to that batch which result in 10 photo set cards then.

2) Supporting special value "0" as "infinite" for one axis is still a valid and desirable option. If the intent is to fill as long until exhausted, into one set. Maybe you did not get this my idea, because to you it was immanent that Concatenate works in finite batch sizes.

So if GC supports 0 on one axis, and we feed 10 images into setup "columns:2 + rows:0", this would create the single output file named by the first input file 01.png, which then consists of 2 columns and 5 rows long. In this case no void is left, as the amount of pictures was the same as available grid items. (The rest of the division was 0).

3) "Gap" size per each axis: Was in my design proposal on purpose, if for design reasons you want to have the gaps not equally set, but e.g. proportionally to the image size, So if you fill your grid with 16:9 images, you may also want your gap to be in 16:9 aspect ratio.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: [Reopened] Concatenate gets option for gap (transparent or color) and options redesigned

Post by forum_adm »

2) The popup is much more descriptive. Will not add zero as value.

3) I add it to the todo list.