[Added] Allow WEBP (screenshots) on the forum

The right place to ask questions, make suggestions and complains about the forum !
porg

[Added] Allow WEBP (screenshots) on the forum

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: Please allow the more modern image and video formats! The same amount and total size restrictions anyhow apply.

Your web storage won't be affected negatively. Rather the contrary! And search engine rating for your forum will increase too when using the more contemporary media file formats.

I see now reason why the forum enforces me to use PNG for lossless screenshots although WEBP is the more modern format, often with a better lossless compression. Hey, you can even make WEBPs in GraphicConverter 😉 So why should the forum not support them…?

Also why not a smaller more efficient MP4 rather enforcing its 30 year old counterpart aka Animated GIF for screen recordings or mockups?

I hope this changes.
Last edited by porg on Tue Jan 10, 2023 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Allow WEBP (screenshots) and MP4 (well compressed screen recordings) on the forum

Post by forum_adm »

I added WebP manually to the image formats. Please check.
porg

Re: Allow WEBP (screenshots) and MP4 (well compressed screen recordings) on the forum

Post by porg »

Test: The first time ever this forum hosts a WEBP image (lossless WEP, @72DPI). A screenshot of the forum itself (pun intended):

forum.webp
forum.webp (24.94 KiB) Viewed 809 times
✅ Preview works
✅ Rendering works
porg

Post by porg »

For some reason, you totally not address why you won't allow MP4s.
1) Storage it cannot be, if the same size limitations apply.
2) Lame content? Users posting lame videos (too long, no proper dramaturgy, not up to the point, no proper text for quick searching). Is that your concern?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Yes, it is 2)
porg

Re: [Added] Allow WEBP (screenshots) on the forum

Post by porg »

Thanks for the info. Closed this. WEBP works now.