[Temporarily fixed] Emoticons (Unicode characters) are present in markup but missing in rendered HTML (SVG problem)

The right place to ask questions, make suggestions and complains about the forum !
porg

[Temporarily fixed] Emoticons (Unicode characters) are present in markup but missing in rendered HTML (SVG problem)

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: Your recent forum configuration changes and/or updates have messed up Emoticons / Unicode display which had worked fine all over 2022.

See video: Lemkesoft Forum - Emoticons are present in markup but missing in output (01m23s, 860 x860, 1.1 MB, Dropbox)
Last edited by porg on Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Emoticons (Unicode characters) are present in markup but missing in rendered HTML (SVG problem)

Post by forum_adm »

I added only the webp to the supported extensions. No other change.
So, I don't know the reason, yet.
porg

Re: Emoticons (Unicode characters) are present in markup but missing in rendered HTML (SVG problem)

Post by porg »

Pairs of Unicode symbol + label on next row:

✅ check, ❌ red-X, 🙂 smiley, 🙁 sadface, 👉 index finger R, → arrow R, ▸ small triangle R, ▶︎ triangle R.

End of test.
porg

Post by porg »

I debugged that for you: It's a problem of your hosting setup and/or your content delivery network (of the icons in particular):

- Some of the unicode symbols are left as is: arrow R, small triangle R, triangle R -- Those show up in the output.
- Some of the unicode symbols are replaced by the forum software with its own icons as SVG images in the markup: check, red-X, smiley, sadface -- These are missing

Lemkesoft Forum - Emoticons are present in markup but missing in output.png
Lemkesoft Forum - Emoticons are present in markup but missing in output.png (196.62 KiB) Viewed 1494 times
porg

Post by porg »

I reported the bug cause at the forum software phpBB.
porg

Post by porg »

@forum_adm: phpBB is aware of the bug and working on it and for now offers an: Intermediate fix for emoji loading issues

E.g. my postings without emojis/icons will often not be comprehensible, as they often change the meaning of the words around them.
I'd appreciate if you apply the temporary fix (2 lines of codes need to be changed). Thanks.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

Thanks for the links - done.
porg

Re: [Temporarily fixed] Emoticons (Unicode characters) are present in markup but missing in rendered HTML (SVG problem)

Post by porg »

- Closing as [Temporarily fixed]
- My icons above show up again. And also here a smile of joy: 🙂
- You may subscribe yourself to the phpBB announcement thread to get a notification when the official permanent fix gets available.