[Added] In Convert & Modify the "move to folder N" command / hotkeys should be de-activated

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
porg

[Added] In Convert & Modify the "move to folder N" command / hotkeys should be de-activated

Post by porg »

Pressing single numeric key while browsing in Convert and Modify triggers command move to predefined folder.webp
Pressing single numeric key while browsing in Convert and Modify triggers command move to predefined folder.webp (193.75 KiB) Viewed 15862 times

- I do not think this makes sense in the "Convert & Modify" window. The "move to folder N" command should be de-activated while you are here.
- Because in "Convert & Modify" you select a source folder and some/all files in it (central panel) + you browse to the destination (right panel).
-- You may do some criteria based file move operations (from the "Function" menu top left)
-- But you very likely do not perform consecutive file-move operations here. This you do in the browser.
Last edited by porg on Fri Jun 23, 2023 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
porg

Re: In Convert & Modify the "move to folder N" command / hotkeys should be de-activated

Post by porg »

@forum_adm : A reaction would be appreciated.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: In Convert & Modify the "move to folder N" command / hotkeys should be de-activated

Post by forum_adm »

Some users use the move folders in convert and modify.

They are available in the browser, slideshow and convert & modify.
porg

Post by porg »

I) If this is a knows user need, then ok!

II) Nevertheless I have something else to improve regarding how "move to folder" eats up "too much of the value-able shortcuts namespace".

1) GraphicConverter > Preferences > Folders:
All destination folders (⌘1 til ⌘0 and ⌃⌘1 til ⌃⌘0) are undefined (value: "no folder chosen") as I don't need that feature.

2) Nevertheless If I type a number
a) also without any modifier key I get the dialog "The requested move folder target is undefined or invalid". This contradicts the preferences where the shortcuts are shown as numbers prefixed with CMD or CTRL-CMD. Maybe that is a bug? I think reserving the pure numerical keys as shortcuts is wrong. It could trigger at various unexpected places (think: numerical value entry…)

b) It's really a pity, because in macOS Finder and native macOS apps with long file/item listings, I usually type the first few letters of a filename/item to jump to it. This works well in GC's Browser, Convert & Modify as long as no numbers are involved. So typing "kid" jumps to "kid.jpg" in the list. But if I have "kid 1.jpg" … "kid 27.jpg" and I want to jump to "kid 12.jpg" typing "kid 12" will not work. As soon as I type the first number, which is "1" that dialog fires up.

c) When there's no destination set shouldn't those shortcuts be "freed up" ?

d) Is there a possibility to explicitly de-activate those number destination shortcuts (if not needed) to not run into the problem?
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

You can now disable the shortcut 0 to 9. So, that should solve your issue.
Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 07.00.jpg
Screenshot 2023-06-23 at 07.00.jpg (275.67 KiB) Viewed 15745 times
porg

Re: [Added] In Convert & Modify the "move to folder N" command / hotkeys should be de-activated

Post by porg »

Tested in GraphicConverter 12.0.4 (6160)

✅ With this new options in Quick and Modify I could quick jump to elements in the list by typing the number their file(folder name starts with without any conflicts.
- Changed title from [Solved] (which is usually a support topic that got solved) to [Added] as this is a new option which got added which solved the underlying usability problem.