Set manual sort order from some other order

The right place to ask questions, make suggestions and complains about the forum !
ndjc

Set manual sort order from some other order

Post by ndjc »

I'm scanning a bunch of old slides. The order of the slides is generally correct, but not always. The scanned photos have a numeric sequence in their file name, set by the scanning software (via my preferences). What I want to do is set the order in the GC browser to the file name order, and then tweak some of the slides - so I set the sort order to manual for that. This works in simple cases, but not always: sometimes I am merging photos from multiple slide trays, and the order in those trays was not correct. In those cases, when I set the GC browser order to manual, it can effectively shuffle the slides a bit.

What I'd like to do is sort by name (or any other supported property), and then tell GC to set the manual sort order to that existing order, replacing the saved manual sort order saved in the extended attributes. I can then tweak the resulting manual ordering as needed, and finally rename the whole batch to get the file names in order.

Is there any way to do that setting of the manual sort order? Doing it manually for several hundred slides is painful, especially when the file name order is so nearly correct.
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Set manual sort order from some other order

Post by forum_adm »

Just select "Manual sort order" at the bottom right of the browser.
Rearrange the thumbs.
New select all and rename i.e. with an index with the simple rename method.
Set the sort order back to by name.
ndjc

Post by ndjc »

But my problem is that setting the manual sort order option immediately resorts the images to the previous manually sorted order, ignoring any order in place at the time. This might leave me with hundreds of slides to reorder.

What I want is a way to start with an order that I have (perhaps file name order), and then manually adjust from there.
macvf

Post by macvf »

Hi,
In the browser select all the images you want to sort.
From the Date menu, select Extended File Attribute > Remove Manual Order.
In the browser select Sort by name to reorder the thumbs by name then select Sort : Reorder manually
Sort the thumbs as desired.
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator
ndjc

Post by ndjc »

Thank you! This clearing of the manual sort order is exactly what I need - I just didn't think to look in a Date menu!
macvf

Post by macvf »

In the upcoming version, currently in beta phase, the manual order rank will be displayed on the thumb with an orange dot, so you know that the files contains already a manual_order attribute that prevails when the manual sort order is selected. So if that happens again you know now how to reset the values.
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator