[Solved] JPEGs with arithmetic instead of Huffman encoding

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
Mr. Spock

[Solved] JPEGs with arithmetic instead of Huffman encoding

Post by Mr. Spock »

Hello,
I did some exploration of the jpegtran command line tool.
I found, that the -arithmetic option achieved the smallest file size (without further loss of quality), even smaller than ImageOptim can produce.
Unfortunately GraphicConverter can't open those JPEGs while every other image processing application on my Mac* has no problem loading them. Even Preview and QuickView work.
It would be great if I could archive my JPEGs, of which I have no lossless copy, with GraphicConverter using that uncommon but very efficient format and not have to use jpegtran in the terminal for every file.
Regards
Markus

*Intel Core i7 iMac, MacOS 13.4.1
Programs tested: Preview 11.0, Safari 16.5.2, Mail 16.0, Photos 8.0, Pages 13.1, Affinity Photo 2.1.1, PhotoZoom Pro 5.1.2, Topaz Photo AI 1.5.0, PDFpenPro 13.1, GoodNotes 5.9.127, LibreOffice 7.5.4.2, Pixen 5.0.2, PikoPixel, VLC 3.0.18,
Not working: GraphicConverter 12.0.4 (6201) Beta (with both TurboJPEG and JPEG 6c) and Google Chrome 115.0.5790.170
Sample image:
Wumpus.jpg
Wumpus.jpg (8.93 KiB) Viewed 1315 times
9145Byte, ImageOptim: 9516Byte, that's 4.06% bigger (with larger images I got ~6% difference)
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: JPEGs with arithmetic instead of Huffman encoding

Post by forum_adm »

Please download BETA build 6202. That fixes the issue with this unusual codec.

http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html

Many thanks for providing the sample.

Thorsten
Mr. Spock

Re: [Solved] JPEGs with arithmetic instead of Huffman encoding

Post by Mr. Spock »

GC now opens a window with the correct dimensions, but the picture is completely white.

Ah, you have to set TurboJPEG instead of JPEG 6c in the JPEG preferences.
Thank you for implementing that.