[Fixed] Picture turns white when adding text

Having tech problems? Post them here and do not worry, there is always a solution for you.
jklingel

[Fixed] Picture turns white when adding text

Post by jklingel »

GC 12. OS 14.0. Recently installed both. All tools seem to work with a picture, but when I try to add text to the picture the whole picture turns white. I still have GC apps, back to #9 I think, but only 12 is open. Are those a problem suddenly? Am I missing something? Pics are HEIC format from my iPhone, imported via Apple Image Capture. Thank you for any help. j
forum_adm
Site Admin

Re: Picture turns white when adding text

Post by forum_adm »

Do you use the current 12.0.7?
jklingel

Post by jklingel »

Did not see there was an update. Will get. Thanks. j. * Updates*. Yes, 12.0.7. Also, this same thing happens on pictures I have previously added text to using GC 11.
jklingel

Post by jklingel »

* Updates*. Yes, I am using GC 12.0.7. Also, this same thing happens on pictures I have previously added text to when I was using GC 11. I just downloaded GC 12 again after throwing out the previous version. I did not touch ANY settings and opened the same pics with the same result; the pic turns white when I try to add text. Also, the Text Objects screen shows up as white with Delete, Flatten, etc, listed below that, none of which do anything when I click on them. I don't recall having ever used that screen; is that normal operation for that screen? I would love to be able to add text to my pics so I can log in the items in the pics. Thanks for any suggestions. j
Fotokunst

Post by Fotokunst »

I use HEIC-File, GC12.0.7, macOS 14

GC11 and macOS 13 no problems.

Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-17.jpg
Bildschirmfoto 2023-10-17.jpg (189.59 KiB) Viewed 12038 times

Joerg
macvf

Post by macvf »

Hi, jklingel

First save your current settings in a safe place using the GraphicConverter 12 > Backup menu.
Then download the First Aid Tool : https://www.lemkesoft.info/files/graphi ... st_aid.dmg
With this tool, reinitialise your settings.
Restart GC and try again.
Please give us the result of this action. Thank you
Philippe

French GraphicConverter localizer since 1994
Mac V.F. manager
French GraphicConverter forum administrator
English GraphicConverter forum administrator
jklingel

Post by jklingel »

Fotokunst: Thank you for the reply. That looks like my setup, and yes, I have used GC since version 8 or 9 on at least a few different Mac OS's and have never had this problem. It is interesting. I will try what macvf suggested. Cheers. john
jklingel

Post by jklingel »

Macvf: I did what you said, but saw no "initialize" so I deleted the prefs. That eliminated my problem of the screen turning white, so thank you. Now I can not get different backgrounds for the text. I either get a clear background with black text, white text with a clear background, or white text with a black background. I would like to get black text on a white background, like I used to; see pic. Perhaps I have lost something in my head, but this used to be pretty easy. The GOOD NEWS is I have learned how to use the Text Objects screen. Progress. Thanks again. j
Attachments
Bowl 230B 13%22 circle, oak, walnut copy.jpg
Bowl 230B 13%22 circle, oak, walnut copy.jpg (230.1 KiB) Viewed 12018 times
jklingel

Post by jklingel »

This is now under control in a circuitous manner. I can get black text on a white background via two different methods, but can not do it directly like I used to. I used to be able to hit the Text button and type black text on a white background; I did that for years. Now I have to either (1) type with no background, then turn on Erase Background, or (2) start with Erase Background checked, whereupon starting to type turns the whole picture turns white; I then type what I want with black text, uncheck Erase Background, and the picture comes back with my black text on a white background. So, I am able to do what I want to, but this is not my normal procedure. Is this how it is now, or I am missing something easy? Thanks
forum_adm
Site Admin

Post by forum_adm »

GraphicConverter build 6401 or newer displays now the correct background color during editing:
http://www.lemkesoft.org/beta.html