Re: Scanners

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Bob Embry

Post by Bob Embry »

On 12/30/02 4:57 AM, "graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com" <graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > So, this implies there are other companies/individuals apart from Hewlet > Packard (HP) that develop these TWAIN drivers ? > Who might these people be and if HP doesn't do it.. Who might? > Is it difficult to make them? > > I'm interested in multipage scanners with autofeeders that can also take in > my photos. Anybody any info on these? > > Sven-Belgium I'm out of my depth, but I think there are two separate issues involved: software and hardware. Hardware: Some scanners can utilize optional document feeders. Software: Check out VueScan by Hamrick Software <http://www.hamrick.com>. This is an application rather than a Twain driver or plug-in. It converts scans into files that can later be opened by GC or other image programs. It claims that it works with lots of different brands of scanners and produces very high quality color scans. It also claims that it can do batch scanning Bob
SVEN AERTS

Post by SVEN AERTS »

Thank you for the url Home · Welcome · VueScan Info · VuePrint Info · Purchase · Serial · Support · Archives VueScan is a program for scanning images using many different scanners. VueScan runs on Windows, Mac OS 9/X and Linux. Why should you use VueScan? * Easy to use - just run VueScan, press Preview, adjust the cropping, then press Scan * Accurate colors - produces bright, vivid colors * Powerful - dozens of advanced options * Faster workflow - can edit one image while the next image is being scanned (most scanner software won't let you work with one image while another is being scanned) * Simple to install - installing VueScan changes nothing on your system, installs nothing in your operating system and all other scanner software will continue to function. It only takes a few minutes to download VueScan, and you can test it for free for as long as you'd like. Many professional photographers use VueScan in their digital darkroom. One VueScan user, John Chapman, has won over 150 medals in Photography competitions in 38 countries, judged the Sydney International Exhibition twice, became a Fellow of the Australian Photographic Society in 1985, and used VueScan with his Nikon LS-4000 to produce his latest book, Day Walks Victoria. ------------------------------------------------------------------------ Copyright © 2002 Hamrick Software Last updated: December 30, 2002 On 30-12-2002 16:56, "Bob Embry" <rtebiz@earthlink.net> wrote: > On 12/30/02 4:57 AM, "graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com" > <graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com> wrote: > >> So, this implies there are other companies/individuals apart from Hewlet >> Packard (HP) that develop these TWAIN drivers ? >> Who might these people be and if HP doesn't do it.. Who might? >> Is it difficult to make them? >> >> I'm interested in multipage scanners with autofeeders that can also take in >> my photos. Anybody any info on these? >> >> Sven-Belgium > > I'm out of my depth, but I think there are two separate issues involved: > software and hardware. > > Hardware: Some scanners can utilize optional document feeders. > > Software: Check out VueScan by Hamrick Software <http://www.hamrick.com>. > This is an application rather than a Twain driver or plug-in. It converts > scans into files that can later be opened by GC or other image programs. It > claims that it works with lots of different brands of scanners and produces > very high quality color scans. It also claims that it can do batch scanning > > Bob > > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
Mark D. Chapman

Post by Mark D. Chapman »

After the various advice I received here and elsewhere I purchases an EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo scanner. It does a good job and does have OSX drivers. However, the program that provides all the nifty little utilities (copy, scan to Email, scan to application, etc.) is OS 9 only. They do have an OSX utility that will scan to file. In regards to my original inquiry: I cannot get it to scan into GC. It will open GC but then doesn't open the image. Oh well, I can scan to file and read it into GC just fine. -- Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto
keith

Post by keith »

I have the Perfection 1650 so I am in the same boat.. As I have said before to this list, I find Vuescan a great scanner software..ie, the Graphic Converter of scanner software. keith On Sunday, January 5, 2003, at 03:18 PM, Mark D. Chapman wrote: > After the various advice I received here and elsewhere I purchases an > EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo scanner. It does a good job and does have > OSX drivers. However, the program that provides all the nifty little > utilities (copy, scan to Email, scan to application, etc.) is OS 9 > only. They do have an OSX utility that will scan to file. > > In regards to my original inquiry: I cannot get it to scan into GC. > It will open GC but then doesn't open the image. Oh well, I can scan > to file and read it into GC just fine. > -- >   Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of > Toronto > <image.tiff> > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service. ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº ººººº "Those who desire to give up freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one" Thomas Jefferson ºººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººººº ºººººº
Frank Taylor

Post by Frank Taylor »

[graphicconverterforum] Re: Scanners After the various advice I received here and elsewhere I purchases an EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo scanner. It does a good job and does have OSX drivers. However, the program that provides all the nifty little utilities (copy, scan to Email, scan to application, etc.) is OS 9 only. They do have an OSX utility that will scan to file. In regards to my original inquiry: I cannot get it to scan into GC. It will open GC but then doesn't open the image. Oh well, I can scan to file and read it into GC just fine. --   Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto   File Menu->Acquire->TWAIN Acquire works correctly for me using GC and Mac OS 10.2.3 with an Epson Perfection 1250 Photo. It also scans directly into several other graphic applications. Make sure you have downloaded the correct Epson driver package for your version of the operating system and scanner type. The Epson driver I use is v5.75A. Follow this link (it is all one line): http://www.epson.com/cgi-bin/Store/supp ... V_SessionI D=@@@@1643302782.1041819231@@@@&BV_EngineID=gadcgdhkhgfibfdmcfjgckidnf.0&oid=14554&infoType=Downloads Frank Taylor
Mark D. Chapman

Post by Mark D. Chapman »

> >After the various advice I received here and elsewhere I purchases an >>EPSON Perfection 1660 Photo scanner. It does a good job and does have >>OSX drivers. However, the program that provides all the nifty little >>utilities (copy, scan to Email, scan to application, etc.) is OS 9 >>only. They do have an OSX utility that will scan to file. >> >>In regards to my original inquiry: I cannot get it to scan into GC. >>It will open GC but then doesn't open the image. Oh well, I can scan > >to file and read it into GC just fine. > > File Menu->Acquire->TWAIN Acquire works correctly for me using GC >and Mac OS 10.2.3 with an Epson Perfection 1250 Photo. It also scans Unfortunately, for me all it does is crash GC. As I understand it from Epson's website I have two problems. First, their TWAIN software works with 9.2.2 and earlier or 10.2 and later but not anything in between (something about hooks for TWAIN). Second, again according to their website, they only have completed OS 10 software for the Perfection 1250 and 1260. Perhaps with time we will see completed software for other scanners. >directly into several other graphic applications. Make sure you have >downloaded the correct Epson driver package for your version of the >operating system and scanner type. The Epson driver I use is v5.75A. -- Mark Chapman - Centre for the Study of Religion - University of Toronto
Robert Wilkinson

Re: PC equivalent

Post by Robert Wilkinson »

I have just made up a CD ROM of my family photographs. Since the people who receive it are mostly PC users, can anyone suggest what they might use as an equivalent to GC on their machines? Bob Wilkinson
Torcuill Torrance

Post by Torcuill Torrance »

I would suggest they use IrFanview from http://www.irfanview.com/ not only is this freeware for non-commercial use but it also has what looks like a run over pirate cat as its icon :-) HTH Torc On Tuesday, January 7, 2003, at 03:30 pm, Robert Wilkinson wrote: > I have just made up a CD ROM of my family photographs. Since the > people who receive it are mostly PC users, can anyone suggest what > they might use as an equivalent to GC on their machines? > > Bob Wilkinson > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
David Vaughn

Post by David Vaughn »

Bob, save it as a Quick Time movie and PC'ers can open it if you format the disc for both Mac and PC using Toast. DavidVaughn@chartermi.net 1210 W. Oliver St. Owosso, MI 48867 Phone 989-723-2211 > From: Robert Wilkinson <rhw@hogholes.com> > Reply-To: graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com > Date: Tue, 7 Jan 2003 10:30:54 -0500 > To: graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com > Subject: [graphicconverterforum] Re: PC equivalent > > I have just made up a CD ROM of my family photographs. Since the > people who receive it are mostly PC users, can anyone suggest what > they might use as an equivalent to GC on their machines? > > Bob Wilkinson > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/ > >
Marino Pascal

Post by Marino Pascal »

In terms of features, I'd say ThumbsPlus is the closest to GC but it costs $80 and it's probably an overkill for what you want. In your case you just want to share the pictures with your relatives, I would convert my albums to HTML and burn that on CD. Everybody has a webbrowser. Just make sure you have unix/dos like filenames and foldernames. GC's new convert->rename command can help you with that. WindowsXP has a built in image browser similar to GC's image browser with less features of course. Marino -- ------------------------ Marino Pascal 2525 Crestmoore Pl Los Angeles, CA 90065 323/254-9272 http://LocationScout.com