maps in telefone book

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Nelsn Helm

maps in telefone book

Post by Nelsn Helm »

Many telefone books now contain maps and street indexes of their cities. One can scan both the map and indexes (OCR the indexes), and convert them with GC, and view them in a Palm Pilot using FireViewer. The scanning and converting do take time. When (if) I complete the map of Louisville, KY, I'd be happy to share for lawful purposes. I'd like a map of Boston MA. Is there a bulletin board for such offers. Telefone books are printed on newsprint. Smaller-paged ones for cars are printed on coated paper. The smaller maps on coated paper yield _much_ better scans than the bigger ones on newsprint. -- Nelsn Helm helmkyny@clockwinders.net - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Enuff is enuff. Enough is tu much. - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
George Slusher

Re: maps in telefone book

Post by George Slusher »

>Many telefone books now contain maps and street indexes of their cities. > >One can scan both the map and indexes (OCR the indexes), and convert >them with GC, and view them in a Palm Pilot using FireViewer. > >The scanning and converting do take time. When (if) I complete the >map of Louisville, KY, I'd be happy to share for lawful purposes. I'd >like a map of Boston MA. Is there a bulletin board for such offers. > >Telefone books are printed on newsprint. Smaller-paged ones for cars >are printed on coated paper. The smaller maps on coated paper yield >_much_ better scans than the bigger ones on newsprint. >-- > Nelsn Helm There is a program for both Palm OS and Pocket PC PDAs called Mapopolis. Their maps are not images, but vector graphics, much like the maps you can consult on Yahoo, etc. They can find addresses, zoom in and out, move with the cursor, etc. There are several "levels" of maps--the more expensive ones can give driving directions and interact with a GPS receiver module. They're really quite neat. Plus, they don't take up as much memory as a scanned image with similar resolution. They sell the maps by county. You can buy one map or a subscription. For example, the mid-level map of Multnomah County, Oregon, which includes much of Portland, is 632K. They also have place guides that have addresses of businesses, restaurants, etc. Check out the web site--they have a free demo that you can try. http://www.mapopolis.com/ George Slusher/Eugene, OR gslusher@rio.com