File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
ruffebum

File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

Post by ruffebum »

When I do: - Browse Folder - Choose a window opens which is divided in three parts , when I select (click) a thumbnail in the middle part, a preview is opened on the right hand side Let's say this preview tells me File Format is JPEG/JFIF and File Lenth is 19,5 KB (Which would be very well for showing on the WEB) When I browse the same file with Finder it tells me the size is 132KB Now I get confused, who is telling the truth or what am I understandig wrong ? Thanks in advance Jan P.s I just switched from the Windows world to the OS X world, so forgive me if my questions seem a bit obvious... :-)
Jan

Re: File Size displayed different in GC and Finder ?

Post by Jan »

Okee, I think it has to do with the Resource Fork , because in the middle part beneath the tumbnail is shown: "19,5 KB + 111,5.." Added together that would make the 132 KB of Finder. But how do I save without the Resource Fork? When I double click a thumbnail and then do - Save As - I do Save WEB ready (without resource) it still stays 132 KB Thanks in advance Jan ruffebum heeft op maandag, 17 maa 2003 om 22:45 (Europe/Amsterdam) het volgende geschreven: > When I do: > - Browse Folder > - Choose > a window opens which is divided in three parts , when I select (click) > a thumbnail in the middle part, a preview is opened on the right hand > side > Let's say this preview tells me File Format is JPEG/JFIF and File > Lenth is 19,5 KB > (Which would be very well for showing on the WEB) > When I browse the same file with Finder it tells me the size is 132KB > > Now I get confused, who is telling the truth or what am I understandig > wrong ? > > Thanks in advance > > Jan > > > P.s I just switched from the Windows world to the OS X world, so > forgive me if my questions seem a bit obvious... :-) > > <image.tiff> > > > To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to: > graphicconverterforum-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com > > > > Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the Yahoo! Terms of Service.
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 17.03.2003 22:45 Uhr schrieb "ruffebum" unter <jan_wessel@hetnet.nl>: > When I do: > - Browse Folder > - Choose > a window opens which is divided in three parts , when I select (click) a > thumbnail in the middle part, a preview is opened on the right hand side > Let's say this preview tells me File Format is JPEG/JFIF and File Lenth is > 19,5 KB > (Which would be very well for showing on the WEB) > When I browse the same file with Finder it tells me the size is 132KB > > Now I get confused, who is telling the truth or what am I understandig wrong ? > > Thanks in advance > > Jan > > > P.s I just switched from the Windows world to the OS X world, so forgive me if > my questions seem a bit obvious... :-) Hello, the Finder shows the size with custom icon and preview. The browser shows the size of the JPEG data itself. Thorsten
ruffebum

Post by ruffebum »

> Hello, > > the Finder shows the size with custom icon and preview. The browser shows > the size of the JPEG data itself. > > Thorsten Okay thx Thorsten, The GC Browser shows the size of the "Data Fork" and the Finder shows the size of "Data Fork + Resource fork" (see also: http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldo ... ource+fork) If I want to use only the "Data Fork" I want to remove the "Resource Fork" , as only the the Data is needed for WEB-publications. In GC I can do that by performing a - Convert - Select a file - Hit the Control (Apple-button) and do Del.Resource For some reason I cannot accomplish that with - Save as - Save web ready (without resource) I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is not saved. I had hoped that was what that option would do. Can someone give me a hint? Jan
ruffebum

Post by ruffebum »

> Hello, > > the Finder shows the size with custom icon and preview. The browser shows > the size of the JPEG data itself. > > Thorsten Okay thx Thorsten, The GC Browser shows the size of the "Data Fork" and the Finder shows the size of "Data Fork + Resource fork" (see also: http://wombat.doc.ic.ac.uk/foldoc/foldo ... ource+fork) If I want to use only the "Data Fork" I want to remove the "Resource Fork" , as only the the Data is needed for WEB-publications. In GC I can do that by performing a - Convert - Select a file - Hit the Control (Apple-button) and do Del.Resource For some reason I cannot accomplish that with - Save as - Save web ready (without resource) I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is not saved. I had hoped that was what that option would do. Can someone give me a hint? Jan
ruffebum

Post by ruffebum »

> > For some reason I cannot accomplish that with > - Save as > - Save web ready (without resource) > > I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is > not saved. > I had hoped that was what that option would do. > Can someone give me a hint Okay , I do not know what has happened , but I logged out and back in , so I guess the machine was reset, and now it works fine. For those of you who are wondering what I use Thorsten's nice program for...: http://www.janwessel.com Unfortunately only in Dutch, but as it is about photography, well let the pics do the talking....:-) Thanks Jan
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 18.03.2003 17:14 Uhr schrieb "ruffebum" unter <jan_wessel@hetnet.nl>: > For some reason I cannot accomplish that with > - Save as > - Save web ready (without resource) > > I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is > not saved. > I had hoped that was what that option would do. > Can someone give me a hint? Do you use normal save or batch save? Which file format? Thorsten
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 18.03.2003 16:54 Uhr schrieb "ruffebum" unter <jan_wessel@hetnet.nl>: > I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is > not saved. > I had hoped that was what that option would do. > Can someone give me a hint? Hello, prefs part save/general: Uncheck add resource. Thorsten
Pascal Lessard

Post by Pascal Lessard »

Le Mercredi, 18 mars 2003, "ruffebum" <jan_wessel@hetnet.nl> a ecrit : >> For some reason I cannot accomplish that with >> - Save as >> - Save web ready (without resource) >> >> I cannot figure out how to set my prefs so that the Resource Fork is >> not saved. >> I had hoped that was what that option would do. >> Can someone give me a hint > > Okay , I do not know what has happened , but I logged out and back in > , so I guess the machine was reset, and now it works fine. Now I understand what was happening : it wasn't really GC's fault. I'm sure you saved your photos as web ready, but kept the photo's name. Since the photo was in the same folder and with the same name, the Finder didn't try to update it's cache. (The Finder creates an info cache to speed up display of things when it can.) So you were seeing the infos about the old photo even though you had correctly saved the photo without any resources. Logging out and back in forces the Finder to trash it's caches and start over. That is why you now see the new sizes... There are no clear way to force the Finder to update the disk info. You have to wait for it to auto-refresh after a long while, log out and back in or move the photo to another folder. Closing and reopening the folder doesn't work however. > For those of you who are wondering what I use Thorsten's nice program > for...: > http://www.janwessel.com > Unfortunately only in Dutch, but as it is about photography, well let > the pics do the talking....:-) Nice photos ! Amities, Pascal Lessard +----------------------------------------------------------------------- -+ "... il n'y a rien de plus ardu a� entreprendre, rien de plus perilleux a� mener, ni rien de plus incertain dans son devenir que de prendre la ta�te d'un mouvement visant a� introduire un nouvel ordre des choses..." - Machiavel +----------------------------------------------------------------------- -+
ruffebum

Post by ruffebum »

Hi Thorsten, Pascal and Terry, Here a combined answer : Thorsten, I was trying to do a normal save of a JPEG file. I think Pascal was correct, I suspected something with the Indexes but his explanation about the caches makes sense to me. Finder will probably use these indexes, I guess. (And Pascal thx for the compliments..) Terry, thanks for the tip, for the moment I suppose I only want to get rid of the Resource Fork with my pics that I want to put on the WEB. And as the author says: "GrimRipperCM is a simple utility for ripping off the resource fork. Very handy if you know what you are doing. Very destructive if you don't. I take no resposibility if you damage the only copy of your important document."... I am still very knew on this Mac thing so.... I assume that GC does exactly that when you ask it to save as WEB- ready (Thorsten?) The code to do that can probably be found here http://developer.apple.com/qa/ops/ops04.html Thank you all for responding, Jan My iBook is different than my Windooz, but I am getting to know it better and better (I am working OS X now since 12 feb 2003), and the Windooz machine is gone now...