Rotating images using the exif orientation tag - is it supported?

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
John Faughnan

Rotating images using the exif orientation tag - is it supported?

Post by John Faughnan »

GC 4.6 respects the EXIF orientation tag, and it will display JPG images in the tag specified orientation. Our Canon Digital ELPH 230 supports this tag; portrait images now display correctly when browsed within GC. I believe rotation as specified by this tag MAY be lossless. Unfortunately iPhoto 2 and most other software does NOT support the orientation tag. So portrait images display correctly when browsed in GC, but NOT when imported into iPhoto. At least one other vendor's software supports JPG rotation based on the tag. For example, see: http://www.abc-view.com/articles/article5.html This allows one to select all images and choose "rotate as per EXIF tag". ONLY the images that NEED rotation (for older software) are rotated, and rotation is correct (either "left" or "right" as needed). Does GC support the following workflow? 1. select all images 2. choose "rotate to match exif orientation tag"? I don't believe that GC supports this, but I have been unable to say definitively based on my review of the (limited) documentation. (I do have the book for GC 4.4, but of course this is a new feature and is not in my copy of the GC book. I wish there were more people willing to pay for documentation and embedded HELP functionality so that GC could justify the economics of documentation.) john jfaughnan@spamcop.net www.faughnan.com/digcam.html
thorstenlemke

Re: Rotating images using the exif orientation tag - is it supporte

Post by thorstenlemke »

> Does GC support the following workflow? > > 1. select all images > 2. choose "rotate to match exif orientation tag"? > Hello, Yes, in the browser with the context menu. Thorsten -----------------------------------------------
John Faughnan

Re: Rotating images using the exif orientation tag - is it supporte

Post by John Faughnan »

--- In graphicconverterforum@yahoogroups.com, lemkesoft@t... wrote: > > Does GC support the following workflow? > > > > 1. select all images > > 2. choose "rotate to match exif orientation tag"? > Yes, in the browser with the context menu. > Thorsten Thank you, I can confirm this works very well! (Select all in browser window, then right click or ctrl-click then choose option to rotate as per EXIF.) john