Batch Processing

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
Robert Kline

Batch Processing

Post by Robert Kline »

Is it possible, using Batch processing, to reduce the size of a folder of pics? I have about 200 hi res pics (4 megapixel Canon) and I want to upload them to Epson's site but it takes forever and I'd like to reduce them before uploading. Thanks for ur advice.
thorstenlemke

Re: Batch Processing

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 18.06.2003 0:35 Uhr schrieb "Robert Kline" unter <bobkline@attbi.com>: > Is it possible, using Batch processing, to reduce the size of a folder > of pics? I have about 200 hi res pics (4 megapixel Canon) and I want to > upload them to Epson's site but it takes forever and I'd like to reduce > them before uploading. Thanks for ur advice. yes, with scale as batch function in convert. Thorsten
Dave Burbank

Re: Batch Processing

Post by Dave Burbank »

Reply to message sent by bobkline@attbi.com (Robert Kline) on 6/17/03: >Is it possible, using Batch processing, to reduce the size of a >folder of pics? I have about 200 hi res pics (4 megapixel Canon) >and I want to upload them to Epson's site but it takes forever >and I'd like to reduce them before uploading. Thanks for ur >advice. Yes. I do this all the time. I have a batch which takes a folder of images and reduces the size of each so that the smallest dimension is 400 pixels and then changes the resolution of each to 72 dpi. The batch commands I use are: Autolevel If (landscape) Scale (so that height is 400 pixels) Continue If (portrait) Scale (so that width is 400 pixels) Continue Resolution (to 72 dpi) One problem I have had with using this technique is the files get saved with a resource fork (which makes them bigger). I don't think the batch process will let you save w/ no resource fork. Instead, you have to set this in Preferences before running the batch. (There may be a way to do this in Batch but I can't figure it out.) If you want, I can e-mail you the batch file. Dave Burbank
Ted Goranson

Trash Small Images

Post by Ted Goranson »

I cannot figure out how to write a batch script that will go through a folder of jpgs and trash every file whose image either height or width is less than a certain value, say 800 pixels. Thanks -- Ted Goranson Advanced Enterprise Research Office
thorstenlemke

Re: Trash Small Images

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 19.06.2003 6:45 Uhr schrieb "Ted Goranson" unter <tedg@alum.mit.edu>: > I cannot figure out how to write a batch script that will go through > a folder of jpgs and trash every file whose image either height or > width is less than a certain value, say 800 pixels. > > Thanks Hello, use if (with your settings) delete file end if Thorsten
stephen e. schwartz

.wps file

Post by stephen e. schwartz »

hello thorsten, I received an attachment to an email from a pc user that was a photo (I think) as a .wps document. No problem, I figured, just drag it into my trusty graphics converter but it is not recognized. as your wonderful product recognizes almost everything, I am flummoxed. thanks for any suggestions. I can forward it to you if you wish. -steve - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Stephen E. Schwartz, Senior Scientist mailto:ses@bnl.gov Atmospheric Sciences Division Phone: (631) 344-3100 Brookhaven National Laboratory Fax: (631) 344-2887 Bldg. 815E (75 Rutherford Dr.) PO Box 5000 Sec'y: (631) 344-3275 Upton NY 11973-5000 ftp://ftp.ecd.bnl.gov//pub/steve Home Page: http://www.ecd.bnl.gov/steve/schwartz.html Secretary: Barbara Roland (mailto: roland@bnl.gov) Tropospheric Aerosol Program (TAP) Home Page: http://www.tap.bnl.gov - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Ted Goranson

Post by Ted Goranson »

lemkesoft@t-online.de wrote on 6/19/03: >Am 19.06.2003 6:45 Uhr schrieb "Ted Goranson" unter <tedg@alum.mit.edu>: > >> I cannot figure out how to write a batch script that will go through >> a folder of jpgs and trash every file whose image either height or >> width is less than a certain value, say 800 pixels. >> >> Thanks >Hello, > >use if (with your settings) >delete file >end if I'm just being dense I guess. My assumption is that we use the "Convert" dialog even though there is no conversion. That we select the appropriate folder and files in the left pane and what, a dummy folder in the right? That we then select the "batch" button and enter steps. If I am right so far, then it is just a matter of sussing out the right "possible functions." I see an "if" but no "use if" or "end if." By "delete file" you mean "delete original," right? What I want to do is walk through a folder and toss out any jpgs whose greatest side is shorter than 850 pixels. Exactly what does that script look like? Many thanks, Ted -- Ted Goranson Advanced Enterprise Research Office
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello, simple use the if function the delete original function and the end if (continue) function Thorsten
thorstenlemke

Re: .wps file

Post by thorstenlemke »

Am 19.06.2003 15:48 Uhr schrieb "stephen e. schwartz" unter <ses@bnl.gov>: > hello thorsten, I received an attachment to an email from a pc user that > was a photo (I think) as a .wps document. No problem, I figured, just drag > it into my trusty graphics converter but it is not recognized. as your > wonderful product recognizes almost everything, I am flummoxed. I need the technical file format details. Thorsten
stephen e. schwartz

Re: .wps file

Post by stephen e. schwartz »

hello again thorsten, I am just a humble mac user, I have no information about technical file format details. All I want to do is drag my document into your wonderful program and see the picture and be able to do a save as to some other format. you are the techie. you are the guy who knows how to map a string of bits into color as a function of x and y. I expect that there is some standard out there that gives the recipe of that mapping but maybe it is private. If you dont want to pursue it I will understand, but certainly dont look to me to provide the technical file format details. I will continue to sing the praises of your fine application. -steve ----- At 8:47 AM +0200 6/20/03, lemkesoft@t-online.de wrote: >Am 19.06.2003 15:48 Uhr schrieb "stephen e. schwartz" unter <ses@bnl.gov>: > >> hello thorsten, I received an attachment to an email from a pc user that >> was a photo (I think) as a .wps document. No problem, I figured, just drag >> it into my trusty graphics converter but it is not recognized. as your >> wonderful product recognizes almost everything, I am flummoxed. >I need the technical file format details. > >Thorsten > - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - Stephen E. Schwartz, Senior Scientist mailto:ses@bnl.gov Atmospheric Sciences Division Phone: (631) 344-3100 Brookhaven National Laboratory Fax: (631) 344-2887 Bldg. 815E (75 Rutherford Dr.) PO Box 5000 Sec'y: (631) 344-3275 Upton NY 11973-5000 ftp://ftp.ecd.bnl.gov//pub/steve Home Page: http://www.ecd.bnl.gov/steve/schwartz.html Secretary: Barbara Roland (mailto: roland@bnl.gov) Tropospheric Aerosol Program (TAP) Home Page: http://www.tap.bnl.gov - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -