Browser Opening is slow

This area contains the messages from the old Yahoo gcmac group after the port.
danmoch

Browser Opening is slow

Post by danmoch »

Has anyone had an issue with slow opening of browser windows with GC 8.5? I am having a problem where opening a new browser window is very slow. Initial browser window opening takes 40 to 60 seconds, subsequent openings 12 to 13 secs. This happens only when one particular drive is mounted on the desktop. The drive is a 2TB WD caviar holding my main photo library as well as my working iTunes library. My startup drive is a separate 240 GB SSD which holds all my applications. The slow browser opening occurs when trying to open any folder, whether it is on the slow drive or not, even if it is a folder on the SSD startup drive. When I open a browser window using GC 6.7.7, the times are very fast (less than 1 second) under the same conditions where GC 8.5.3 is having problems. The drive which is associated with the slowdown passes SMART tests, reporting only a partial issue with slow spin up times. Again, the slowdown happens even when the drive is spun up, as well as when I'm accessing a folder not on the problem drive, and does not happen with GC 6.7.7. The other details of my system: OS 10.8.3 Mac Pro 2009, 8 core 2.66 GHz, 16 GB RAM, All drives are installed in the Mac Pro (not in external enclosures) Any help would be appreciated! Dan
thorstenlemke

Re: Browser Opening is slow

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hello,please look into the help menu for the item performance optimization. Also, please try to trash the prefs.Thorsten On 10.04.2013, at 18:28, "danmoch" <danmoch@mac.com> wrote:   Has anyone had an issue with slow opening of browser windows with GC 8.5? I am having a problem where opening a new browser window is very slow. Initial browser window opening takes 40 to 60 seconds, subsequent openings 12 to 13 secs. This happens only when one particular drive is mounted on the desktop. The drive is a 2TB WD caviar holding my main photo library as well as my working iTunes library. My startup drive is a separate 240 GB SSD which holds all my applications. The slow browser opening occurs when trying to open any folder, whether it is on the slow drive or not, even if it is a folder on the SSD startup drive. When I open a browser window using GC 6.7.7, the times are very fast (less than 1 second) under the same conditions where GC 8.5.3 is having problems. The drive which is associated with the slowdown passes SMART tests, reporting only a partial issue with slow spin up times. Again, the slowdown happens even when the drive is spun up, as well as when I'm accessing a folder not on the problem drive, and does not happen with GC 6.7.7. The other details of my system: OS 10.8.3 Mac Pro 2009, 8 core 2.66 GHz, 16 GB RAM, All drives are installed in the Mac Pro (not in external enclosures) Any help would be appreciated! Dan
we

Post by we »

Hello:GC is now HUGE in size.. compared with before... ya I have issues slow opening .. you may be using images with large DPI [detail] and or large images many megabytes .. over 5, and GC is slower.In Apple's Preview opening is speedy. Apple uses a interface to the machinery underneath called UNIX and this is an old system [1968]... But for many apple - core apps. as in PREVIEW and others the interface is bypassed.SO GC has to pass thru the UNIX layer which is written in old "C" .Also Apple now has memory hogging issues which are not OK.I use FREE MEMORY PRO a cheap little app from Apple which frees memory.Very slow. Open something in PREVIEW see the speed! weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
we

Post by we »

Also anything under latest CPU from our beloved Apple is slow going ... I went to the Apple Store and tried out the latest i7 core on fastest processor ..yup that is a must for top performance it seems... little sleazy of Apple huh? weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
we

Post by we »

I have a 2009 MacBook 2.1GHZ and only a DUO CORE 5 GB RAM .. it is very tedious unstable many crashes doing somewhat big pictures... reported many times to Apple who hear nothing of course big bro = Apple? weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
we

Post by we »

I routinely even crash Preview app. it just can't handle basic image changes on a moderate scale...In fact Apple's programs and the OS ARE NOT FOR NIMBLENESS IT ALWAYS WAS A STODGY operating system very HIDDEN and experts cannot fathom what is inside of this mess! I feel I am working with a loaded baby's diaper all the time. The Apple store says after a year the OS needs to be changed as it gets all 'corrupted' ... by what I ask?I cringe when that beach ball spins cause I oft times loose my work of say an hour.... Apple take a hike! weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
danmoch

Post by danmoch »

Thank you Thorsten, the performance optimization took care of the problem. Opening is now around 1 second. I did not have to trash preferences (actually I had already trashed prefs in the past to try to resolve this issue.) I'm sorry that I didn't see that item on the help menu previously. Of course I did a bunch of other things including user forum searches. As usual, your support is AWESOME! Dan Mochizuki --- In gcmac@yahoogroups.com, Thorsten Lemke <lemke@...> wrote: > > Hello, > > please look into the help menu for the item performance optimization. Also, please try to trash the prefs. > > Thorsten > > On 10.04.2013, at 18:28, "danmoch" <danmoch@...> wrote: > > > Has anyone had an issue with slow opening of browser windows with GC 8.5? > > > > I am having a problem where opening a new browser window is very slow. Initial browser window opening takes 40 to 60 seconds, subsequent openings 12 to 13 secs. > > This happens only when one particular drive is mounted on the desktop. The drive is a 2TB WD caviar holding my main photo library as well as my working iTunes library. My startup drive is a separate 240 GB SSD which holds all my applications. > > > > The slow browser opening occurs when trying to open any folder, whether it is on the slow drive or not, even if it is a folder on the SSD startup drive. > > > > When I open a browser window using GC 6.7.7, the times are very fast (less than 1 second) under the same conditions where GC 8.5.3 is having problems. > > > > The drive which is associated with the slowdown passes SMART tests, reporting only a partial issue with slow spin up times. Again, the slowdown happens even when the drive is spun up, as well as when I'm accessing a folder not on the problem drive, and does not happen with GC 6.7.7. > > > > The other details of my system: > > OS 10.8.3 Mac Pro 2009, 8 core 2.66 GHz, 16 GB RAM, All drives are installed in the Mac Pro (not in external enclosures) > > > > Any help would be appreciated! > > > > Dan > > > > >
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,which MacOS do you use? Did you try under a new user?Did you verify the disk and disk permissions with the Apple Disk Tool?Did you try to clean all old caches with Onyx?Thorsten On 10.04.2013, at 18:44, we <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote:   I have a 2009 MacBook 2.1GHZ and only a DUO CORE 5 GB RAM .. it is very tedious unstable many crashes doing somewhat big pictures... reported many times to Apple who hear nothing of course big bro = Apple? weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
thorstenlemke

Post by thorstenlemke »

Hi,the size is mostly caused by the localization. The package is localized in many languages and contains 32 and 64 bit Intel code.But the size is not to large for such a complex application.Try to trash the preferences file. Also, follow the instructions in the help menu under optimization. That take normally care of the problem.Thorsten On 10.04.2013, at 18:36, we <eligurwayne@yahoo.ca> wrote:   Hello:GC is now HUGE in size.. compared with before... ya I have issues slow opening .. you may be using images with large DPI [detail] and or large images many megabytes .. over 5, and GC is slower.In Apple's Preview opening is speedy. Apple uses a interface to the machinery underneath called UNIX and this is an old system [1968]... But for many apple - core apps. as in PREVIEW and others the interface is bypassed.SO GC has to pass thru the UNIX layer which is written in old "C" .Also Apple now has memory hogging issues which are not OK.I use FREE MEMORY PRO a cheap little app from Apple which frees memory.Very slow. Open something in PREVIEW see the speed! weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca
we

Post by we »

Oh yes did all of that it is just I am using large image files > a few megs. in size and DPI of larger kinds say 1000 DPI from ESA, and Nasa pictures which need at times this resolution.I do know older OS-X TIGER and LEOPARD would auto allocate memory really well - but after Snow Leopard and esp. LION OS-X had memory holding issues that they Apple refuse to address...Added to all that I see GC uses RAM as say Preview does of late; as Preview tends to use more memory for very big JPGs.All that relates to the post TIGER OS as I have gone 4 gen.s with Apple and a few with your software too.Can't get a better program than GC still!I have my minor issue.Wayne weeligurwayne@yahoo.ca